Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C P Exams Saying Caused By Or Result Of Service

Rate this question

walt

Question

Good Morning everyone and Thank you.

My claim has been in decision twice and has been sent back to gathering of evidence.the regional office has asked St.Louis DOD For this."request herbicide exposure documents" I understand they are checking the archives for documents from korean service. I have some questions please.First I have three cp exams with what I think is positive.One is for panic disorder from a va Phychiatrist saying ,"The condition/dissability panic disorder is most likely caused by or a result of military service.

The other two are for copd and high blood pressure,both saying, the condition/dissability" is as likely as not (greater than 50/50 probability} caused by or a result of military service.Am I correct in thinking it is still up to the rater whether I get anything or not?The copd and high blood pressure were written as an addendum at the time I went for the cp exam for the panic disorder.I had a cp exam by the same Dr. that gave these two opinions and he was no help at all on the conditions he examined me for then.

Also these three conditions are three of four I was denied for in 2000.The denial letter stated in the analysis...service connection is denied since the condition neither occurred in nor was caused by service. Yet directly above in the facts paragraph it says...The veteran has submitted evidence showing he was diagnosed with mild copd in 1979(I was in service at that time)Treatment records from va medical center in Murfreesboro Tennessee show he was treated for copd in Feb. 2000. It says basically the same thing for anxiety and high blood pressure.

In the evidence it says...Notice from nprc that they forwarded the veterans service medical records to Montgomery Regional office on August 4 2000 These records have not been received....medical evidence from the veteran....treatment records from va medical center in Murfreesboro TN. for the period of May 26 1992 to May 23,2000. They now have all this plus va records from Two other va medical centers.At the time they did not have two of my four dd 214's.They do now.

Thet stated in denial that if records were subsquently received claim will be reconsidered with date of claim protection. I pointed this out to them in my present claim.I guess they only got these records when I opened this claim.

As to the request from DOD for herbiside exposure...The presumptive date for korea agent orange and herbicide exposure begins1 April 68 and I left there in November 67.However I have a declassified document showing it was tested at nine different locations on 80 acres during Sept.,Oct.,Nov.and I think Dec.1977 I was TDY twice to the DMZ and was stationed six miles south.I have not found out the locations it was tested except The south border tape to civilian control line.Thre have been some granted Service connection for this.I am trying to get all info I can come up with.

I know some of this is repetative of my previous post but I tried to give all I could so you would be able to advise and/or comment. Thank you all very,very much.Too I noticed for first time im my va records..prognosses advanced emphysema.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The "rater" makes the decision. It seems from your stated information that you should be successful.

However the VA's error rate is high enough that there is no telling. I'd say that there is at least a 30% chance that you will end up filing an appeal. On the other hand, you may have at least a 50% chance of a favorable decision. I assume that you have already filed for reconsideration, from your remarks.

About a year ago the VA extended the end date of Korean AO exposure to Aug. 31, 1971 which hopefully has helped some Korean War vets attain SC for AO.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-01-25/html/2011-1342.htm

“Thet stated in denial that if records were subsquently received claim will be reconsidered with date of claim protection. I pointed this out to them in my present claim.I guess they only got these records when I opened this claim. “

Yes that is true.

We have info here on that in topic called “Newly discovered service records.” available under a search here.

VA is firm on the AO Korean reg dates. I dont see here any AO presumptive condition but if the COPD and HBP is in your SMRs, and the panic disorder , as the C & P s do sound favorable for SC, then I don't see need to focus on the AO regs, unless the HBP was first manifestation of Ischemic heart disease,by established medical evidence.

Although VA holds to those dates above, perhaps something will definitely turn up in the search for the herbicide exposure documents that would help you if you in fact have an AO presumptive condition.

About a year ago the VA extended the end date of Korean AO exposure to Aug. 31, 1971 which hopefully has helped some Korean War vets attain SC for AO.

http://www.gpo.gov/f...l/2011-1342.htm

“Thet stated in denial that if records were subsquently received claim will be reconsidered with date of claim protection. I pointed this out to them in my present claim.I guess they only got these records when I opened this claim. “

Yes that is true.

We have info here on that in topic called “Newly discovered service records.” available under a search here.

VA is firm on the AO Korean reg dates. I dont see here any AO presumptive condition but if the COPD and HBP is in your SMRs, and the panic disorder , as the C & P s do sound favorable for SC, then I don't see need to focus on the AO regs, unless the HBP was first manifestation of Ischemic heart disease,by established medical evidence.

Although VA holds to those dates above, perhaps something will definitely turn up in the search for the herbicide exposure documents that would help you if you in fact have an AO presumptive condition.

Thank you Berta.

The "rater" makes the decision. It seems from your stated information that you should be successful.

However the VA's error rate is high enough that there is no telling. I'd say that there is at least a 30% chance that you will end up filing an appeal. On the other hand, you may have at least a 50% chance of a favorable decision. I assume that you have already filed for reconsideration, from your remarks.

Thank you Sir. What I am trying to find out is what Percentage I would get.I have applied for tdiu hoping for it if not 100 %. I reopened this claim when I was denied on the Neimer review.I still do not understand why they did it knowing I was in Korea and not Viet Nam.

Thank you Berta.

Berta I do have prostate cancer.I know the presumptive date is 1 April 68 and I left in November of 67 But agent orange and one or two other herbicides was tested on 80 acres in nine locations in late 67.I believe I was in the covered area.I know there have been some serviced connected for this testing.I was stationed six miles South of Dmz and Tdy to it twice. Just not sure about time frame.Depends on what they find in archives I guess. Thank you very Kindly again.