VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am Too Old

Rate this topic

Has anyone encountered this problem with the VA? The VA has been treating me for shoulder pain for roughly 8 months. My doctor decided to do a MRI to see what's going on. He told me I have a torn labrum and bicep tendon and a bone spur in my right shoulder that is causing pain and limited range of motion. There were other problems he discussed, but I didn't understand him. (the left shoulder isn't much better).

He told me in most cases he would refer me to a surgeon, but he won't. Why? I am too old for the operation. I saw a doctor outside of the VA health care system. He asked me why I'm coming to him and not the VA, and I told him. I'm 51 and I'm too old.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

It depends. I've torn my bicep from where it connects to my humerous, leaving me with what looks like a "popeye muscle," when I flex that muscle. The surgery is kinda major and my doc says unless I feel I really need it, they don't recommend it, at my age and condition. It's not like I'm likely to be competing in any sports or physical type work, so it's okay w/me. Actually I don't do elective surgery, anyway, I only do absolutely necessary surgery. The recovery would be lengthy, also. just sayin . . .

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing to consider is possible complications of even the most minor surgery. I had a very minor surgery to my foot. This was not done by the VA. It ended with a really bad staff infection. Now I have a bad ingrown toe nail and I am even afraid of getting that worked on even though I limp at times. After that staff infection and the brush off I got from legal and medical community I would say don't get surgery unless you have to get it. I have heard of an 85 year old getting back surgery so he could travel with his wife. He spent his cruise in a wheelchair.

John

One thing to consider is possible complications of even the most minor surgery. I had a very minor surgery to my foot. This was not done by the VA. It ended with a really bad staff infection. Now I have a bad ingrown toe nail and I am even afraid of getting that worked on even though I limp at times. After that staff infection and the brush off I got from legal and medical community I would say don't get surgery unless you have to get it. I have heard of an 85 year old getting back surgery so he could travel with his wife. He spent his cruise in a wheelchair.

John

John, I met a gentleman who had a knee replacement and he had the same problem. He told me he was on anti-biotics for a couple of weeks. His leg didn't look good when I met him. Thank you. Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

My recent surgery left me in a position where I am now classified as high risk. Therefore the minor surgery's like carpal tunnel will never be done. Even the most simple surgery won't be done. I guess after almost croaking last time(I did and they brought me back) I'll have to settle for major surgery's with the risk of dying. And I am only 57 years young!! Of course I have over 25 disability's too!

• HadIt.com Elder

Cool and Bernie

I am afraid to have ingrown toenail fixed due to the last staff infection I got. I was on IV anti-biotics in the hospital for three days after surgery on my foot. I was on daily infusions of anti-biotics for 6 weeks. I had a big hole in my foot and they had to pack and unpack it every day by shoving cotton swabs into the hole with long wooden chop sticks. I was usually driping sweat by the time that was over. You could have eye surgery and get a staff infection. Imagine that for a horrible thought.

John