Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va & Dol Introduce A New Training Program For Unemployed Veterans

Rate this question

SSGmajik

Question

The VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 was recently passed by Congress to provide assistance for unemployed Veterans. If you are an unemployed Veteran between the ages of 35 and 60 you might qualify. If you know other Veterans that may qualify, please spread the word about this program by forwarding this email.

The Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) was part of the recently passed legislation. The program is a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Labor (DOL) joint effort to provide training to Veterans unable to find work.

VRAP will provide 12 months of training assistance equal to the monthly full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program (currently paying $1,473 per month). Participants must be enrolled in a program approved for VA benefits that is offered by a community college or technical school. The program must lead to an Associate Degree, Non-College Degree or a Certificate.

To qualify, a Veteran must:

Be at least 35 but no more than 60 years old

Be unemployed on the day of application

Have an other than dishonorable discharge

Not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)

Not be in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability

Not be enrolled in a federal or state job training program

Pursue a program that leads to employment in a high demand occupation

The program is limited to 45,000 participants between July 1, 2012, and September 30, 2012, and an additional 54,000 participants from October 1, 2012, through March 31, 2014. DOL will provide employment assistance to every Veteran who participates upon completion of their program. Applications will be accepted beginning May 15, 2012.

VA will publish more details on the program as they become available at our VOW website.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/VOW/

Thank you for your interest and please feel free to pass this message on to another Veteran.

Sincerely,

Curtis L. Coy

Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

810 Vermont Ave NW | Washington DC | 20420

Phone: 888-442-4551

Forward this message to a friend

Unsubscribe

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I got an email about this from the va..

I wrote back, instead of the va trying to start new programs ... -pay for the old programs first... this is just a political stunt because of an election year... nothing more nothing less.

I totally agree with you, but if they have this program we should take advantage & use it if you qualify.

Right just like we try to take advantage of vocational rehabilitation and other programs..... the va has likely placed road blocks and hazzards all over the place as a way to hold down enrollment..... I would just be happy if the va would work with and not against veterans... and to heck with new programs..... all this new program is going to do is cost the tax payers more money, because companies arn't going to hire when there is no incentive to hire.

Right just like we try to take advantage of vocational rehabilitation and other programs..... the va has likely placed road blocks and hazzards all over the place as a way to hold down enrollment..... I would just be happy if the va would work with and not against veterans... and to heck with new programs..... all this new program is going to do is cost the tax payers more money, because companies arn't going to hire when there is no incentive to hire.

You're totally right.! I filed for voc rehab back in 06' & I was told I didn't qualify, but I knew I did. So, I had to prove I qualified to the VA with their own records! Then the voc rehab counselor did not want to do her job & put me off for almost a year! Then once she finally completed her forms & put all the paper work in. It took another 6 months. I had to find a job in the mean time. Once the approval came in she asked me if I was working & I said yes, she then told me I no longer qualify & withdrew my application. I really don't think she should have or was even allowed to, but I ended up losing my job because of my SC injury after only 6 months working & called her back & told me I need to start everything all over! I got tired & gave up! The VA wants you to give up or make it so difficult that you don't to even qualify, but makes the public think they are doing great things for veterans. I get where you're coming from, but I only wanted to put the info out there. I'm as disgusted with our government & the VA as you are.

My husband received his approval for VRAP and was certified by the veterans office at his community college today! He starts classes in August. This is exactly what he needed at this time. He was a truck driver who has done the same line of work since he was a 88M in the Army 21 years ago. He has been out of full time work since October 2011. This is a great opportunity for him to qualify for a better job. This is also a blessing while his claim is in progress. He has financial aid for tuition and books but this gives us money help take care of household needs so he can focus on improving himself for a new line of work. I believe that there are many others who fall in to the same category and really need this program. This not for people who are trying to get a higher level degree but for people who have been working in blue-collar/trade type jobs and are currently unemployed. This program will really make a difference for this group of veterans.

My husband received his approval for VRAP and was certified by the veterans office at his community college today! He starts classes in August. This is exactly what he needed at this time. He was a truck driver who has done the same line of work since he was a 88M in the Army 21 years ago. He has been out of full time work since October 2011. This is a great opportunity for him to qualify for a better job. This is also a blessing while his claim is in progress. He has financial aid for tuition and books but this gives us money help take care of household needs so he can focus on improving himself for a new line of work. I believe that there are many others who fall in to the same category and really need this program. This not for people who are trying to get a higher level degree but for people who have been working in blue-collar/trade type jobs and are currently unemployed. This program will really make a difference for this group of veterans.

Kimmy, thats great, I hope and pray for his success.

We had a school program back in the 70's that really help me. Of coarse that was before your time. :-)

Edited by SP4RVN1971