Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Venlafaxine

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

Anybody here taking Venlafaxine? Be careful of not taking it for two days, I just found out the hard way for the past few days....Worse medicine withdraws I ever had...

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well that didn't go well. I woke up this morning mad for no reason. Had bad headache so I had to take one again. I guess I will wait for lower dosage to get here.

Wow, rpowell. This is very interesting news to see you going through all this with the venlafaxine, too like me. My VA doc here in San Angelo, TX has me on two 75 mg venlafaxine tablets twice a day (for a total dosage of 300 mg). Back in December 2011 I had a lapse in prescription refills and didn't have any of my meds whatsoever for 6 or 7 days. The withdraws were undescribably wretched. It eventually led to a mental break and stay in an inpatient facility but now that I'm "better", I'm on this venlafaxine dosage. One missed dosage (if I miss my mid-day dose before my bedtime dose) is enough to take it out of me just about completely.

I see others on this comment string alluding to the fact that this venlafaxine has been around in the VA for some time now? I was not aware of that. Can anybody here provide any information on that? What else do yall think they could give us in place of this venlafaxine that would leave out this side effect of severe acute withdraw symptoms?

Well I finally received the lower dosage today so I can get off this evil medication. Worse thing about this is yesterday I received Mirtazapine which I read a lot folks use here. OMG, I took it at 6:30pm last night was out until 2:30 today and I am still feeling like poop.

I am done with all the psych stuff. I am coming off the venlafaxine then I am done with it. I rather be in pain than to go through all of this. I have become a bug and I am done with it.

I hear you loud and clear on that, rpowell...wacko.png I'm so sick and tired of not being able to even function at all albeit on any all natural psycho-social level at all. At least on that level I wouldn't be suffering from the side effects of these purportedly less used psych meds that our VA still uses on us guys and gals.

Sounds like this new stuff is doin' you pretty rough. Take it easy for a few days & be noting any unique symptoms or particularities you get hit with.I just checked out the Mirtazapine drug facts and it seems like it has some pretty sedative side effects -- something i'd be pretty interested in as a matter of fact. I've got insomnia (it's actually one of my Dx's) and they stopped giving me meds for it so I'm hear on hadit typing this stinkin' reply at 3:28 on a Saturday morning while I should be in bed getting some rest before church on a Sunday morning. Every night is like this with me though. Tell me how your new journey with Mirtazapine goes. I may ask my doctor about it if you tell me positive things about it. My prayers are with you until next time. God Bless.

A few days ago my left left started hurting. I didn't think anything about it but today whenever I lay straight or standup both my legs hurt really bad. Am I pinching my sciata? It goes down the back of my buttocks, back of thighs and back of calf muscle. I hope this Venlafaxine isn't doing this.

I am not going to take the Mirtazapine after it did that to me. I will cut it in quarters if I need one to sleep but as of right now I finally got me sleep straightened out, well somewhat.

Edited by rpowell01

excl.png that sounds like something else completely new & unrelated. I'm sure by the time you're getting this you've already tended the problem you've described, but I can tell you from personal experience with venlafaxine I have never experience similar symptoms ranging from the buttocks area down to the calf muscle. Your assumption of a pinched sciatic nerve would've been my first guess if you hadn't even mentioned sciatica as a matter of fact. Do you carry your wallet in your back pants pocket on that side? If so is the wallet a thick wallet? In other words just be looking out for all different signs and causes for things that could be putting extra pressure on that particular buttock area if in fact the sciatica is acting up. If it is not and it is in fact a medicine side effect I'd greatly appreciate if you availed me of that fact on here. Best wishes & God Bless.