VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Meet A Real Old Timer Who Served In Korea..

Rate this question

robert51

Question

He lives in my subdivision and i was helping him carry a box from the mail box and we started to talk,,,,, he is 100% and in his early 80sss and said for the most part he lives alone. He has a grandaughter who helps some times and was thinking of going to assisted living... He told me he heard he can get up to 1,600 toward his assisted living cost but he did not apply seems he was told the 1,600 would be taken from his 100% check like an offset ??? i said i would ask but did not know...

Edited by robert51

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Check this link from VA. http://www.va.gov/geriatrics/Guide/LongTermCare/Assisted_Living.asp#

Also check http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/M21_1MR5.asp Chapter 2 section A

Make sure he checks this out in detail before doing anything. He may get stuck with something he doesn't want. One other thing to consider also he doesn't want the VA to try and say he is incompetent should he go to an ALF. He just needs to do some good diligence before making a decision.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have heard no so good things about nursing home care via the VA. They don't pay for assisted living according to what I have read which is a shame. In my area I heard that eligible vets are sent to a few nursing homes some are good and some are a quick death sentence. I heard this from a doctor whose daughter works for the VA in Tampa.

Sorry to take so long to repond. My father inlaw died in a Va assisted living comples. Horrible bodily fluid smells and Vets complaining about no meds. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. I would Thoroughly investigate for him. Some seem like places for vets to die. I apologize but this is my opinion.