Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Dic? Help Pls!

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

I recently was awarded "permanent and total" and have been 100% for PTSD for 3 years.

Question:

1: On "watchdog" forum, states you must maintain 100% P&T status for 10 years, prior your death' for your dependents to continue benefits after your death. Is this true. Champva says no, if you die tomorrow the dependent benefits would continue regardless the length of your 100% P&T status.

2: Once awarded 100% P&T PTSD, are re-exams a norm. I am 64 and just can't mentally go through another C&P.

3: Wife and my 7 and 11 year old (yes "my" sons) are under a private insurance plan. Should they drop it when CHANPVA kicks in.

4: Is the percentage of veteran PTSD 100% P&T high for loosing that status.

I apologize for all these questions and have searched for the "correct answers", please help guide me throuh this "jungle".

God Bless

John

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

1: "On "watchdog" forum, states you must maintain 100% P&T status for 10 years, prior your death' for your dependents to continue benefits after your death. Is this true.( the spouse can apply for and receive DIC with additional benefits for children as explained in the actual DIC regulations here in our DIC forum.

The 10 years must be a continuous 10 years at 100% P & T SC.

These are not compensation benefits.The SC compensation stops at death.

." Champva says no, if you die tomorrow the dependent benefits would continue regardless the length of your 100% P&T status."

That is true-once CHAMPVA is awarded, it could only be taken away by a fraud situation I think.

2: "Once awarded 100% P&T PTSD, are re-exams a norm. I am 64 and just can't mentally go through another C&P."

I wouldnt worry about another C &P if I were you, but the VA can order C & P exams whenever a new claim or some situation triggers them too (such as maybe if you had another SC disability claimed that could put you into SMC status.

A good friend of mine went ballistic when the VA ,after giving him 100% P & T status for years ,decided to try to give him another C & P.

I had helped him get the 100 % P & T and I went ballistic too. Due to the nature of his 100%.

Both I and his wife wrote strong letters to the VARO. They dropped the new C & P idea fast.

There was no way the VA or any miracle of God could improve his disability or alter his 100% P & T status.

3:" Wife and my 7 and 11 year old (yes "my" sons) are under a private insurance plan. Should they drop it when CHANPVA kicks in.":

Someone else will chime in on that. I get CHAMPVA and Medicare so I dont know the answer.

4:" Is the percentage of veteran PTSD 100% P&T high for loosing that status."

Not that I am aware of at all, otherwise vets would be giving the VA PTSD if that was true.

My husband was 100% P & T for SC PTSD and also had SSDI solely for PTSD.

A 100% P & T rating for PTSD is certainly indicative of very severe and ,as his shrink said,in my husband's case, it was catastrophic PTSD.

On "watchdog" forum, states you must maintain 100% P&T status for 10 years, prior your death' for your dependents to continue benefits after your death. Is this true. Well, partially and somewhat true. For a spouse to receive Dependent's Indemnity Compensation (DIC) upon a veteran's demise:

(a) The veteran must have died from a service connected condition, or a service connected condition must have been a secondary or contributory cause of death; or,

(b) The veteran must have held a totally disabled evaluation for ten years or more; the total disability can be either a single 100%, or a combined 100%, or Totally Disabled because of Individual Unemployability (TDIU). (I'll wait for the gadflies to chime in about the 8 year rule)

Champva says no, if you die tomorrow the dependent benefits would continue regardless the length of your 100% P&T status. You'll have to ask someone else on this; we don't use CHAMPVA. However, I suspect that the CHAMPVA answer is also partially and somewhat true.

Once awarded 100% P&T PTSD, are re-exams a norm. No, re-exams for a 100% P&T ANYBODY are not the norm and really quite rare. However, it is not impossible for a re-exam.

Wife and my 7 and 11 year old (yes "my" sons) are under a private insurance plan. Should they drop it when CHAMPVA kicks in. That's a decision for you to make; it depends on the cost of your private insurance, whether your dependents have preferred providers, etc. Although ChampVA coverage is 'free', you still will have the co-pays. And, your available providers might be limited because some providers do not accept ChampVA/Tricare. If you do keep the private insurance and also get CHAMPVA, CHAMPVA becomes the secondary payer for care, and there should be little or no co-pays for you.

Is the percentage of veteran PTSD 100% P&T high for loosing that status. What would you consider a "high percentage"? In any event, the answer is no.

I recently was awarded "permanent and total" and have been 100% for PTSD for 3 years.

Question:

1: On "watchdog" forum, states you must maintain 100% P&T status for 10 years, prior your death' for your dependents to continue benefits after your death. Is this true. Champva says no, if you die tomorrow the dependent benefits would continue regardless the length of your 100% P&T status.

2: Once awarded 100% P&T PTSD, are re-exams a norm. I am 64 and just can't mentally go through another C&P.

3: Wife and my 7 and 11 year old (yes "my" sons) are under a private insurance plan. Should they drop it when CHANPVA kicks in.

4: Is the percentage of veteran PTSD 100% P&T high for loosing that status.

I apologize for all these questions and have searched for the "correct answers", please help guide me throuh this "jungle".

God Bless

John

On "watchdog" forum, states you must maintain 100% P&T status for 10 years, prior your death' for your dependents to continue benefits after your death. Is this true. Well, partially and somewhat true. For a spouse to receive Dependent's Indemnity Compensation (DIC) upon a veteran's demise:

(a) The veteran must have died from a service connected condition, or a service connected condition must have been a secondary or contributory cause of death; or,

(b) The veteran must have held a totally disabled evaluation for ten years or more; the total disability can be either a single 100%, or a combined 100%, or Totally Disabled because of Individual Unemployability (TDIU).

(I'll wait for the gadflies to chime in about the 8 year rule)

Wow - nice touch.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gadfly

Definition of GADFLY

:

any of various flies (as a horsefly, botfly, or warble fly) that bite or annoy livestock

:

a person who stimulates or annoys especially by persistent criticism

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have another Insurance ChampVA becomes secondary and after paying a 50 dollar deductible it basically pays anything you would have to pay on your primary. On its own it basically pays 75% and you pay 25%. It also pays for meds which is a great benefit.

When you apply simply let them know that you have other insurance. I personally think you should go ahead and get it as it is for life for your wife and I am pretty sure your kids will be able to keep it till 26 the new law.

Every VA Medical Center has a person who helps with ChampVA. I recommend you find them and just ask for help with any questions or concerns you may have. I consider ChampVA for life for my wife a major benefit.

Thanks for all the helpful reply's and will stay in touch. You Guys are great!

OH! The effective date for the Permanent ant Total is Jan 2012 (date of app. for the P&T portion). should I challenge the fact my 100% was awarded 3 years ago for the benefits or just "don't rock the boat" ?

God has blessed me so very much!

God Bless

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for all the helpful reply's and will stay in touch. You Guys are great!

OH! The effective date for the Permanent ant Total is Jan 2012 (date of app. for the P&T portion). should I challenge the fact my 100% was awarded 3 years ago for the benefits or just "don't rock the boat" ?

God has blessed me so very much!

God Bless

John

The VA will say its is effective date cause they just determined it. When did you ask for P&T should determine the effective date. The reason 3 years is important is there is a 10 year wait till your wife is eligible for DIC if you pass. If you can get earlier effective date it means 7 more years. Of course if you pass due to a service connected condition no waiting time just usually a hassle getting it.