Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer Claim Question

Rate this question

vtrick

Question

I am boots on the ground RVN 70-71. I had prostate surgery in April 2011. After surgery I was told I needed radiation treatments because the pathology report indicated "Margins". I begin treatments in Oct. of 2011. I filed my claim with the VA in Nov. 2011 while in treatment. I completed treatment in Jan. 2012. I have not heard anything yet from the VRO other then they have received my claim and are backlogged. Does anyone have a guess as to what my compensation will be? I realize in a normal timeframe I would have received 100% from Dec. 2011 till I received a C&P to determine if I still had cancer but because of the long wait (8 months so far) I'm not sure how this will be handled? The way it's going I may not be rated for over a year or two from filing.

Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Regardless of the details, "The way it's going I may not be rated for over a year or two from filing." Is possibly optimistic.

I'd likely use non VA medical resources to determine if you do or don't have active cancer. The VA's stance on prostate cancer and compensation has always impressed me as being totally anti-veteran and anti-compensation anyway they can manage it. If cancer "reoccurs", it's likely that it always was there, just minimized by treatment. From the compensation point of view, early surgery is not a good thing to do. "Watchful Waiting" seems more appropriate, unless the medical findings indicate near term treatment and surgery is needed.

I am boots on the ground RVN 70-71. I had prostate surgery in April 2011. After surgery I was told I needed radiation treatments because the pathology report indicated "Margins". I begin treatments in Oct. of 2011. I filed my claim with the VA in Nov. 2011 while in treatment. I completed treatment in Jan. 2012. I have not heard anything yet from the VRO other then they have received my claim and are backlogged. Does anyone have a guess as to what my compensation will be? I realize in a normal timeframe I would have received 100% from Dec. 2011 till I received a C&P to determine if I still had cancer but because of the long wait (8 months so far) I'm not sure how this will be handled? The way it's going I may not be rated for over a year or two from filing.

Thanks.

Vtrick, Welcome aboard, I'm sorry you have join the Prostate cancer club. First your compensation should go back to Nov. 2011 and it should be 100% for PC. It took 10-11 months to get my claim.

Questions

Do you have any other problems like Heart, Diabetes?

What were your greason scores 3+3 or 4+5.? Your pathology report for biopsies of the prostate?

If the cancer was out side the prostate or Metastatic prostate cancer?

If the Cancer has metastasis to the lypmh nodes? Have you had a CT scan or Bone scan?

Have you send your doctors records from the the surgery or your VA forms 21-4142 release forms

Have your VSO help you send VA form 21-4138 (statement in support of claim)

You need to compile all your on records.

A long with VA collecting information from your doctors, I would fax a backup to them and getting a status of the fax being received.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

Vtrick, Welcome aboard, I'm sorry you have join the Prostate cancer club. First your compensation should go back to Nov. 2011 and it should be 100% for PC. It took 10-11 months to get my claim.

Questions

Do you have any other problems like Heart, Diabetes?

What were your greason scores 3+3 or 4+5.? Your pathology report for biopsies of the prostate?

If the cancer was out side the prostate or Metastatic prostate cancer?

If the Cancer has metastasis to the lypmh nodes? Have you had a CT scan or Bone scan?

Have you send your doctors records from the the surgery or your VA forms 21-4142 release forms

Have your VSO help you send VA form 21-4138 (statement in support of claim)

You need to compile all your on records.

A long with VA collecting information from your doctors, I would fax a backup to them and getting a status of the fax being received.

\

Thank you for your response. I have submitted all the necessary forms with my claim including, pathology report with the DR. notes, Radiation schedule with DR. notes DD214 showing RVN, marrage license etc. So far I am doing fine but I was just not sure how long the VA would rate me. From the sounds of your response it should be from Dec 2011 the month after I filed until a C&P and at that time a determanation will be made if a reduction is in order. I have been getting regular PSA tests that look good so far.

Again, Thank you fro your reply.

Vtrick, If you have not done a C&P test, they will make you pull your pants down and look at the scar. They tell you to pull your pants up and say thank you were finish! They did not want to look at any paper work i had.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"