Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Appointment

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

Folks I haven't been on here in a while, I apologize... I scheduled a VA appoinment which is coming up next week and I think I may have made a mistake. I retired back in 2010 and I am rated at 100%Sc, since that time I have been seeing my civilian docotors on a monthly basis however its taking a toll on my finances. My ailments have worsened and I am awaiting my SSD claim and I haven't worked since my retirement. Since my retirement I have seen the VA once and that was for my initial entry into the VA system (2011). I scheduled this appointment so thatI can receive a new Back Brace and other equipment, however my questionis this.

1. Can VA reduce my claim on this visit?

2. Should I stay with Civilian Dr's, my civilians Dr's are great?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Folks I haven't been on here in a while, I apologize... I scheduled a VA appoinment which is coming up next week and I think I may have made a mistake. I retired back in 2010 and I am rated at 100%Sc, since that time I have been seeing my civilian docotors on a monthly basis however its taking a toll on my finances. My ailments have worsened and I am awaiting my SSD claim and I haven't worked since my retirement. Since my retirement I have seen the VA once and that was for my initial entry into the VA system (2011). I scheduled this appointment so thatI can receive a new Back Brace and other equipment, however my questionis this.

1. Can VA reduce my claim on this visit?

2. Should I stay with Civilian Dr's, my civilians Dr's are great?

Hello Vet2010,

I'm no expert, but I don't think an appointment with a primary care doc at a your vamc has any effect on your rating. I also had private care through my wife's

work insurance, but have switched back to the VA care in 2011 when my wife lost her job. In my opinion the care you receive is similiar in both VA & private.

There are good & bad docs in both. You really are your best advocate about your own health care. You have to stay vigilant about the care you receive. I

think in the VA's case they are stretched to the max with their caseloads. From what I've seen at my VAMC most that work there are dedicated & compassionnate,

but can only put so much time & care into each patient because of budget issues. The volume of patients is amazing. If I had a choice I would definitely

pick private care & I don't think it effects your rating one way or tthe other. Best of luck to you & yours.

Bob K

I can only speak for myself. The VA care is much better than I would get privately where the doctors are repeatedly pressured by the insurance industries to go the cheapest way possible.

Painter is right. It should have no impact on your rating, except if you show improvement and there is another C&P the records could be used to reduce your rating.