Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Glaucoma Treatment - Or Lack Thereof...

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

Last week I went back to the VA optometrist for more glaucoma tests. After the pressure test and "what flashing lights?" test, she showed me a read-out where there appeared to be dark spots around each of my eye's range of vision.

She said "Now we have a base-line, we will check you again in four months and see if there is any progression. But looking at this, I'd say that you do have glaucoma."

She did not ask about my medications. She did not talk about any kind of treatment or what progression might mean or even what glaucoma was.

I was scared, had taken an Ativan to keep my eye open enough for the pressure test, and was too afraid/fuzzy to ask questions.

I mentioned this all to my mother-in-law's caregiver and she said that I should have been started on drops right away!!

Huh?

What should I do? We don't have outside insurance that pays for vision stuff, and despite what the world thinks, %100 does NOT mean you can afford everything. (don't get me started, I'll be crying all night...)

Should I be scared? Did I already ask this question?

I'm sorry if I did. I keep repeating myself. Drives my kid nuts.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have no idea whether you are on dangerous ground or not. Please note that my posting was not a direct response to one of your posts.

FWIW, you can choose to believe whomever you care to, whether it's your MIL's caregiver or some anonymous personage on an internet site. Rather than guess or opine about your condition remotely, I'd go with your optometrist's opinion because after all, that person has actually looked at your retinas, taken photos of them, reviewed test results, and so forth.

Dangerous ground?

I'm trying not to be anxious or overreact to an early diagnosis. The person who did the tests was an optometrist... is that a "real" doctor?

Sigh. I'm so busy trying not to think about my PTSD issues that I'm chasing shadows and fretting majorly about my MIL and my vision. I'm going to worry myself into an early grave, even if I manage not to put myself there on purpose.

I'm an idiot. There. That's my diagnosis and it explains EVERYTHING.

hedgey,

I would not put alot of stock into what a tech at the Optometrist's office

said when they were doing a visual field test.

Glaucoma is diagnosed by a pressure test, you hear a little puff of air

when they take the measurements.

Anyways, any worry now, I would put to rest by scheduling an

appointment with an Opthamologist.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

Hang in there but if it were me I would want to see a professional that is not connected to VA. Your pressure determines whether or not you need drops. My wife has glaucoma and has to take drops every day but when she uses the drops the pressures are good. The main thing is to get a plan and stick with it.

Sorry for my confusion about the ground thing. Jumpy and scared.

Called my private PCP for an appointment. If she refers me to an ophthalmologist, Blue Cross might pick it up as a medical issue versus a "vision" issue. Fingers crossed!

Thanks, y'all, for posting and caring. Hope I deserve your kindness.

I believe you are on dangerous ground here.

Dangerous ground.... I don't know what you mean but I have pigmentary glaucoma and know the subject very well ....Its not very helpful when people speak in code, say what you mean or please don't respond at all.....