Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Bdd Journey

Rate this question

Joe30045

Question

My intent on posting this is to provide my experience as I go through this process. I will attempt to post updates and if something I have done helps even one other vet, then it will have been worthwhile. Sorry for the length. Thanks for your service to all of those that have gone before, those currently serving, and those that will serve in the future, for no greater love....

Joe

My status is currently on active duty in transition with a retirement date of 1 February 2013. I filed a Benefits Delivery at Discharge claim on 14 August 2012 or 171 days prior to my retirement. My eBenefits status changed on 12 September 2012 and the followng is what was posted as my status:

Details of Your Claim

Claim Received: 02/01/2013

Claim Type: Compensation

Estimated Claim Completion Date: 10/03/2013 to 02/08/2014

Contentions:

sleep apnea with CPAP (sleep study of record) (New), hypertension (New), GERD (New), fractured

right wrist (New), coronary artery disease (surgery X 1) (New), basal cell carcinoma (New), kidney stones (New),

osteosarcoma (New), squamous cell carcinoma (New), right elbow condition (New), right shoulder condition (New),

right knee condition (New), left knee condition (New), hearing loss (combat) (New), migraines (New), insomnia (New),

bilateral tinnitus (New), testicular cancer (New), lower back condition and thoracic spine condition (New), sinusitis

(New), lung condition (New), head trauma (memory loss, concussion with loss of consciousness, combat) (New)

Change of Status: We determined that your claim required additional review. If any additional information is needed,a letter will be sent requesting that information.

Next Steps:We will review all available evidence and make a decision on your claim upon receipt of all requested information as outlined in the headings, "What Do We Still Need from You?" and "What Have We Done?".

Several factors will determine the duration of the "Development" phase, including:

type of claim filed

number of disabilities you claim

complexity of your disability(ies), and

availability of evidence needed to decide your claim.

Additional Details

Your Designated Power of Attorney

DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS

Regional Office of Jurisdiction:

Winston-Salem

Send Documentation To

Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office

Regional Office

Federal Building

251 North Main Street

Winston-Salem, NC 27155

What Do We Still Need From Others?

This is a list of all items that have been requested from 3rd parties.

Items From Date Requested Due Date ", Follow-Up Dates

FB QTC 09/12/2012 11/11/2012

What Have We Received?

This is a list of all items that have been received from either the Veteran or a 3rd party. Please be advised that it may

take up to 21 days to receive, process, and annotate in our system any information that you mail to one of our

Regional Offices. Don't see an item listed? Check our "Unsolicited Items" page to see if it was received by VA.

Compensation & Pension Claim Details - eBenefits

Items Date Requested Date Received

VA form 21-526c Pre-Discharge

Compensation Claim 08/14/2012

VA form 21-22 Appointment of

Veterans Service Organization as 08/14/2012

Claimant's Representative - DAV

Memo from Transition Service

Officer with attacked documentation 08/14/2012

for claim

Signed VCAA notification 08/14/2012

Copy of service treatment records 08/14/2012

VA form 21-4138 Statement in

Support of Claim with list of claimed 08/14/2012

condition

VA form 21-674 Request for

Approval of School Attendance (3) 08/14/2012

VA form 21-686c Declaration of

Status of Dependents 08/14/2012

Social Security cards (8) 08/14/2012

Marriage certificate 08/14/2012

Birth certificates (6) 08/14/2012

Divorce Decrees (2) 08/14/2012

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The battle is joined!! Got my first ever "letter" today, notifying me of an audiology appointment on 5 Oct 2012. Thanks to all who have provided assistance as I settle in for siege warfare, whether you all know it or not, I have learned a lot from reading the posts on this site. Thanks again and I hope that maybe one day I will post a nugget that makes a difference.

Received my second envelope, this time from FedEx, with three appointment notifications. I have a PSC on 4 Oct 2012 at 0930, a FAM on 4 Oct 2012 at 1000, and another PSC on 4 Oct 2012 at 1030.

I have no idea what the PSC appointments are, but the FAM appointment has a 30 page questionaire that is going to severely tax my memory issues and covers the following conditions:

Osteosarcoma

Fractured Right Wrist

Right Elbow Condition

Left Knee Condition

Right Knee Condition

Right Shoulder Condition

Lower Back Condition

Thoracic Spine Condition

Sinusitis

Lung Condition

Sleep Apnea

Coronary Artery Disease(Surgery x 1)

Hypertension

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

Kidney Stones

Testicular Cancer

Scar, Status Post Coronary Artery Disease Surgery

Basal Cell Carcinoma

Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Migraines

Anybody see any issues? Any insight into what I am in for? Thanks for any help.

Joe, I have claimed a few of the same items you have (Sinusitis, Sleep Apnea and squamous cell carcinoma) the conditions may be different and the degree of disability may vary. I'm expecting notification any day now (I'm in pending notification). Once I hear I will let you know, this may give you an idea of your anticipated award percentage.

• HadIt.com Elder

When you get your VCAA letters be sure each and every disability is mentioned in the letter. If it is not listed then the VA is probably going to consider it. If and when you get denials the VA will consider all your conditions denied that are not specifically mentioned. You have a lot of conditions and you need a DX for each one besides a general description of a condition. You are going to be at this for a while, but don't give up. You ought to claim chronic pain and depression while you are at it.

Rob, Thanks for any info, I am primarily looking for what to expect at these things. I have the letters that tell me that it won't be like a normal Dr's. visit and the 30 page questionnaire is a bit daunting as I don't understand a lot of the medical terminology they are asking me to confirm/deny. Luckily, my wife has been a nurse for about five years now and was a paramedic before that, so she has been extremely helpful. Not to mention she remembers stuff a lot better than I do.

John, Are the VCAA letters the ones I am getting from the VA contractor (QTC) telling me about these upcoming appointments? They definitely haven't covered everything listed yet, but they have covered some stuff not listed. While the pain is fairly constant, there are some days that it is practically non existant, so I don't think it could be classified as chronic and depression has never been an issue as long as I am looking at the top of the grass and not the roots! Thanks for te advice.

Update: I received a phone call today fom QTC, the VA contractor, reminding me of the pending exams that I have already received "letters" for. She also informed me of two other pending appointments, one for Upper GI on 8 Oct 12 and one for an ECG on 17 Oct 12. Hopefully I will be getting those letters soon because one of the appointments is down the road about 30 miles or so and if I don't plan it out, I will forget it. Thanks Hadit, for listening and providing a plethora of information.

Edited by Joe30045

When you get your VCAA letters be sure each and every disability is mentioned in the letter. If it is not listed then the VA is probably going to consider it. If and when you get denials the VA will consider all your conditions denied that are not specifically mentioned. You have a lot of conditions and you need a DX for each one besides a general description of a condition. You are going to be at this for a while, but don't give up. You ought to claim chronic pain and depression while you are at it.

I would expect with your claimed conditions you have chronic pain! However, I wouldn't claim depression unless you have been diagnosed with it. Has your primary care physician screened you for depression? Do you or anyone close to you have concerns about your mood or how you are relating to your health issues?

Edited by 71M10