Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File Other Claims After 100% P&t Award?

Rate this question

meghp0405

Question

Would it make sense for me to pursue additional claims after being awarded 100% P&T-no future exams?

I just received the brown envelope with my award notice today. I also just sent the VA an informal claim notice in November for new claims for IHD and adjustment disorder with anxiety & depression.

QUESTION: Is there any reason I should not go ahead and pursue my new claim for agent orange presumptive IHD?

I would like to be service connected for IHD in the event I die from a heart attack. This would give my wife another route for a DIC claim.

QUESTION: Should I pursue my adjustment disorder claim?

I see this as a potential problem because it is the type of claim where VA might require continuous exams and I would prefer keep future exams to a minimum.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

Georgiapapa...

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

This would definately depend on the disabilities that you are currently service connected for. If, for an example you have 10% for an ankle injury. you have not had this ankle checked by a doctor in a couple of years, the reviewer(s) at VA will, say, this hasn't been checked or anything annotated, they will send you a letter stating a proposal of reducing your % for your ankle. That could effect the overall disability.

If you have a life threatening disability that is service connected I would submit a claim. If you pass away from a service-connected disability, your spouse will be entitled to the DIC benefit.

If you have been 100% for longer than 10 years, I would NOT submit a claim regardless! Your surviving spouse is automatically entitled to DIC after the 10 year rule.

lastly, being 100%, VA is going to take care of you whether or not your complaint is SC or not.

Hope I haven't confused you...

\\

Thanks for the input.

Georgiapapa...