Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims

Rate this question

meghp0405

Question

hey folks, I'm really frustrated at the posts that I have read throughout the hadit site. Not mad at anyone on here, but mad at the system and how it treats us veterans. I'm probably not as frustrated as those veterans that have been waiting years for an answer from VA, but regardless, it sickens me to see another vet suffer through this process. I have heard it before and I'll repeat it, If you don't have PTSD before submitting a claim, you will have a diagnosis before your done!

I have been a VSO for 7 years. I volunteer my time assisting veterans in this process. The military hospital on our installation provideds the DAV with an office, computer and any other logistical needs that we may have in assisting fellow veterans. Kudos to them for their support!

Although there is nothing I or anybody can do for the claims that are already in the hands of VA, we all have to educate those that are getting out of the service on how to submit a claim. Use to be, a vet would send a letter in stating that he/she proposes to submit a claim for their disabilities.This would establish an effective date. Then spend time sending in paperwork afterwords in hopes that the documents you sent would be attached to your claim.

As you each have read the stories listed, we all know that this system is just not working.

The VA came out with a fully developed claim about 2 years ago. When a veteran submits a claim, all supporting documentation is submitted with the claim. All medical records, marriage certificate(s), divorcee decree(s), birth certificate(s) and ssn's for each dependant. VA FM 21-526ez (FDC), VA FM 21-686c, (dependency form), VA FM 21-4138, statement made by you to the VA and VA FM 21-22, power of attorney (if applicable), is all sent in as a "fully developed claim". Now, these claims cannot be submitted until your ETS/Retirement date. Here is the kicker, these claims are being adjudicated within 90 days once being received at the VA. If a military retiree is awarded 50% SC or greater, this claim will take an additional 30 days. This is due to the claim being sent to DFAS for the computation of pay. 50% or greater, you then fall into the CRDP program..

Now lets say you submit a FDC, you get the response back and you disagree. Complete a VA FM 21-4138, infor VA that you are submitting an NOD for the listed disabilities and

request a DRO. Remember, when you submit an NOD, you need to list each disability that you disagree with and you have to state why you disagree. If you have additional information to provide then send it in with your NOD. If you obtain additional medical documentation, do not send it in when your claim is being adjudicated within the first 90 days. If you do, your claim is sent to the original claim lane and into the 14-29 month wait.

The VSO's in this area have submitted several hundreds of these claims, again all done within 90 days with the exception of the retirees as I stated above. The dependency claims are done also. Several times, I have seen that the VA FM 21-686c will be sent in after the initial rating decision has been issued to the Veteran. Some VSO's believe that you cannot submit this form until you know that the vet has been awarded 30% or greater. That's hogwash! Submit all this together.

Later down the road, if you feel that an increase in % is due, submit the claim as a FDC, again with all medical documentation in support of your claim.

We have been told in our training, that if you continously call Peggy, that will indeed slow your claim down as well. Again, don't know for sure.

The VA guys on post that are doing claims for those that are getting out of the service are submitting their claims as a BDD (benefits at discharge date). These claims go to Winston-Salem where initially everything seems as it is going well, appointments for C/P exams are done and the claims then go into the waiting area. The longest I have seen for an initial BDD claim has been 29 months. I have asked these guys why they do the BDD claims and not the FDC. In so many words, their bonuses are caculated on the BDD claims. That makes me so upset! They do not have the veterans best interests at heart, only their wallets. About 6 months ago, most supervisors/managers within the VA received a $10,000 bonus each. The secretary's rationale was that, "many supervisors/managers had not received a raise in 2 years." This was made public right before the training sessions in florida and elswhere were made public. The VA had spent millions on their little parties and yet the secretary and his staff still have their jobs. This is just wrong in so many ways! Most VSO's are volunteers. Yes, some are good and some are bad. I tell folks, find you a VSO that is busy. If you find one that is not keep looking. There is a reason for that.

Ok, I've said my peace and it's time to get some beauty sleep. Well ok, i'll settle for sleep, the beauty part vanished many years ago!

On a personal note, I would just like to thank everybody that has contributed. I know, I haven't been here a long time but I have learned a great deal while here!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe my site can also help with veterans creating complete claims. I'm just a wife of a disabled veteran but put this together from a secretarial side. I hope it helps those of you who are the champions of veterans by providing more organized claims for you to then submit and polish.

Thank you for helping. Our VSOs have been a big help also.

Fanaticbooks

Maybe my site can also help with veterans creating complete claims. I'm just a wife of a disabled veteran but put this together from a secretarial side. I hope it helps those of you who are the champions of veterans by providing more organized claims for you to then submit and polish.

Thank you for helping. Our VSOs have been a big help also.

Fanaticbooks

I found you website to be very helpful and informative. If I would have found it and hadit, before I filed my claim for increase and TDUI in 2009, I might not be in this mess of an appeals process I have gotten into. Thanks again.

Mike

Edited by kymike

Meghp0405,

I really do appreciate your assistance to veterans and thier families, you have had way more formal training in the area of claims development and VA specific regulations than I have. THANK YOU for what you do.

However, I do take issue with this FDC's taking 90 days talking point that you keep parroting. I have looked and looked for this metric in published VA reports and studies and cannot find it. Last I knew VA had 57 regional offices and the statistics for them are all over the map. It is very possible that the VARO that you are working with are cranking these FDC claims out in 90 days, but to keep throwing this number out there without a clarification that it is specific to RO X, causes people to develop an expectation that if they file a FDC it should happen in about 90 days. I have in writting from last summer from Detroit VARO that they won't even know if I mailed somthing to them in less than 60.

The very scary statistic out from the GAO (Berta started a thread on this) states the average processing time for a claim is 260 days. Consider that 260 day number includes all these quickee FDC's and the wait time on a standard claim (where the VA has not relieved itself of some of its statuatory responsibilities) cleary is a lot worse than the published average. I applaud the GAO on actually mentioning the drastic drop in results on appeals processing and those wait times.

Keep on Doing what your doing!

Thank you and Best regards,

Meghp0405,

I really do appreciate your assistance to veterans and thier families, you have had way more formal training in the area of claims development and VA specific regulations than I have. THANK YOU for what you do.

However, I do take issue with this FDC's taking 90 days talking point that you keep parroting. I have looked and looked for this metric in published VA reports and studies and cannot find it. Last I knew VA had 57 regional offices and the statistics for them are all over the map. It is very possible that the VARO that you are working with are cranking these FDC claims out in 90 days, but to keep throwing this number out there without a clarification that it is specific to RO X, causes people to develop an expectation that if they file a FDC it should happen in about 90 days. I have in writting from last summer from Detroit VARO that they won't even know if I mailed somthing to them in less than 60.

The very scary statistic out from the GAO (Berta started a thread on this) states the average processing time for a claim is 260 days. Consider that 260 day number includes all these quickee FDC's and the wait time on a standard claim (where the VA has not relieved itself of some of its statuatory responsibilities) cleary is a lot worse than the published average. I applaud the GAO on actually mentioning the drastic drop in results on appeals processing and those wait times.

Keep on Doing what your doing!

Thank you and Best regards,

71M10,

I can only pass on what we were told at our training and what I know from personal experience. I do know that each VARO has now set up "lane assignments" when receiving claims. I also know that the FDC and claims that are submitted for expedition are in the same lane. I'm not sure how all lanes are broke down, I have to go through my notes from our last training. I do know that we have submitted these claims to several VARO's across the United States. Again, it's hard for some of us to understand how and why, but the adjudication is completed as I have previously stated. I personally have submitted over 400 with 7 different VARO's so I know it's working. I cannot say it's working in each VARO because I don't know the answer to that. The statistical data concerning the FDC's have to be combined with other claims (I think). The reason I say that is I believe that some of the VARO's are doing more poorly than the numbers are shown and the positive % from the FDC's are bringing their scores up. The days listed for claims processing at some of these VARO's are not correct, many are absoutley longer, we all know that, which again, I believe proves my point. If these FDC's were rated on their own merit and success, can you just imagine what kind of backlash the VA would receive from the thousands of veterans that's been waiting for any length of time?

I don't know everything, I will never ever claim to know everything, but when I do have a question or when a specific situation presents itself, I know where to look and who to ask. I speak with other VSO's across the U.S. and many, many of them don't have the support or training that we have. I know that I feel blessed that I am able to do this work and have had some positive results. I have had some that were denied as well and that's when I dig in previous case history with the appeals court for some guidance.

I spent 21 years in the Army and it gives me a great deal of pride to be able to give back. When it's all said and done, if the veteran is happy, I'm happy!

“I have heard it before and I'll
repeat it, If you don't have PTSD before submitting a claim, you will
have a diagnosis before your done! “

Meg, I too have said that here over the
years, adding I have VA induced PTSD.

On tomorrow's SVR show I might reveal
my VA DX as a civilian........maybe not..........
PTSD sort of from Vietnam......BUT .as a civilian but more to it then that........
maybe best to leave it where it is...........it does explain my behavior here sometimes...
BUT no downers on the SVR show..........last year's show was FABULOUS.... but they forgot to send an Emmy to Tbird and Jerrel......maybe this year......

PTSD Not due to VA claims, and certainly not
due to any mil service.

I digress..................

“I tell folks, find you a VSO
that is busy. If you find one that is not keep looking. There is a
reason for that. “

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You
are so right here in everything you said.

Us volunteer advocates get so burned
out too, it just compounds the way we view the VA.

I gripe a lot about VA but am
consiering writing a book with a friend who works for VA ,
highlighting all of the exemplary things the VA does, things we dont
talk about here. I have 3 chapters doped out already in my Off org
progrm

It is the Claims system that is all
----ed up. VA saves lives everyday and VHA is getting up to speed....

but not VBA....... VBA was not at all
prepared for the consequences of OIF OEF.

“Ok, I've said my peace and it's time to get some beauty sleep.
Well ok, i'll settle for sleep, the beauty part vanished many years
ago!”

Here here......I bet you look fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“On a personal note, I would just like to thank everybody that
has contributed. I know, I haven't been here a long time but I have
learned a great deal while here!”

We certainly have learned from YOU!!!!!!! Thank you for
that.....can you be on the SVR Anniversary show tomorrow with

us?????

"I spent 21 years in the Army and it gives me a great deal of pride to be able to give back"

21 YEARS.!!!.......... I probably would not even have made it off the recruitment bus to the base......
Thank You For those Long Years of service to the US of A.

Edited by Berta