Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nurse Practioner Are Seeing Patients Instead Of Doctors

Rate this question

tmoe

Question

The previous post was closed.was told to start over,anyway I ask the question about NP as being my primary doctor. Is this going on at all

VA medical center or just in Augusta Ga.Carlie says its been going on but in my seven years as seeing VA doctors this is my first with a

NP.She is doing good so far even givin some pain meds. I think it maybe a good ideal stay on her good side,because they are the one

that does C&P exams mostly. I guess you see the doctor when dying only.I know a lot of MH doctors quit at Charlie-Norwood but looks

like regular doctor also

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Do you have a right, or have you been allowed to? So do your physicians take all your vitals, run your lab tests, nuclear imaging, ultrasound.....the care you receive will only be as good as those medical support positions. As for perscribing treatment, their legal right to practice, is governed by the same institutions that grant an MD or DO the right to practice medicine. The diploma does not confer a license.

Come on... you've got to be kidding.... of course you have a legal right to decide who is going to treat you... as far as support staff... that is what they are trained to be support staff and to do the little things that need to be done...... They may have a legal right to practice, but only under supervision of a real doctor, but .. I think who ever is doing the hiring decides who does the treating.... No a diploma does not confer a license, but without the diploma I doubt they would be able to obtain the license....and I would rather have a licensed professional treat me that someone who is too lazy or stupid ( many VA doctors) to get a license.

Teac,

Of course no one has to accept a medical provider that they don't want,

they can just keep changing them out or do like me and have none but they ER.

The VA does NOT have to provide medical treatment by a DOCTOR,

I don't care if your General Patton himself coming up out of the grave.

Find it somewhere in a USC or REG and THEN - I will believe it.

Until then - we just run thru the gamete of VA medical providers and

hope to find one we click with.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Teac I do respect your opinion, I think it is imperative that who ever a person allows to practice medicine on them (notice that its a practice, its not perfect) There needs to be a provider patient relationship. Different people need different things and have different comfort levels. What works for me may not work for others. I have excellent health insurance I can fall back on if I don't like what my VA provider is doing (haven't had to opt out yet). My employer is a self insuring organization and our compensation package considers the cost of health care (higher healthcosts lower raises). Seeing that all my chronic conditions are gifts from my service it makes since that VA should bear those costs (not my co-workers).

Again you have the legal right to decide whom to accept medical services from (once you left the service). In the instance of the VA and some PPO's you don't have the right to decide who will provide those services. In a sense you could be told take it or leave it. Thankfully the system hasn't quite gotten to that.

Many foreign doctors do not have medical doctorates, they have a medical and surgical bachelors degree MBBS.

NP's and PA's do have to be licensed and just about any practice or hospital system will then go through a credentialing process that has to occur before malpractice insurance will be provided.

Actually the VA does have to provide care from a Doctor if you specifically ask for it. And if you don't believe me because I didn't show you some regulation well that is your choice. you also have a right to more than one person in an exam as well.

Even in the Military you had/have the right to pick and choose who you want to treat you, most didn't exercise the right but it exist.

And I am sure that if you are presented with a situation at the VA where for what ever reason you don't want an assigned provider to treat you .. and you tell them so.. they will provide another provider. I have done this in the case of female doctors and in the case of poorly speaking foreign doctors, as well as NP, and not once was I ever refused a change in providers. And not only have I done this in San Antonio, but Temple Texas and Augusta Georgia. This bottom line is .. if you do not feel comfortable with a provider then why would you let them treat you, and why would anyone tell you that its not your decision to make? Of course it is.

I have even been placed in a situation at BMAC were the doctor ask me if he can bring in an attending female doctor to learn about male problems .. and I have refused...

What about the situations were a female is assigned to a male doctor and the female says no I want a female doctor.. do you really think the VA is going to tell you no we don't have to let you see a female doctor , of course they do.. it may not be that same day.. but they will provide a female doctor....

Hey guys I know you don't agree with me.. but at my age I'm really not out to prove anything.. I've lived the life, I've made the choices, and if what I say wasn't true , I wouldn't say it.....

I think I am done with this thread .. if you don't agree with me by now well like I said that is up to you and nothing I say is going to change that...

Patient Bill of Right VA Medical Center San Antonio.

see Page 2.

See paragraph C. Patients have a right to participate in treatment decisions.

See paragraph 3 line 2. " As a partner in the healthcare process, patients have the right to be involved in choosing their provider."

This should clear up any doubts about the rights to chose who you are willing to have treat you.

PatientsRightsandResponsibilities.pdf