VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Residuals Lymphoma

Rate this question

Norris

Question

Hello All. Vietnam Vet here. I have a question, Two years ago I was diagnosed by the Southern Arizona, VA Medical Center, Tucson, AZ as having Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I immediately filed a Compensation Claim and was given a temporary rating of 100%. I received all my medical care from the VA Medical Center in Tucson. My Lymphoma was treated with a very strong series of Chemotheraphy. As a result of the Lymphoma and the chemo, I was left with several residual or secondary effects. I completed my chemo almost 18 months ago and have since undergone a PET-Scan and two CAT-Scans. My doctor said the cancerous lymphoma nodes were so small, he recommended no further treatment, just watch and wait.

Had C&P exam for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL) residuals. Oncologist has noted that the cancer is in remission at present but he wants to see me every six months for follow up exams. The C&P Dr. examiner submitted the following comments:
Status of NHL: In remission. Treatment completed; Veteran currently in "watchful waiting" status.
The residuals noted by the C&P examiner were, Severe Peripheral neuropathy both lower extremities due to the chemo. Hearing adversly affected by the chemo. Audio exam ordered. Examiner also wrote that my ability to work is impacted due to the bilateral peripheral neuropathy and easy fatigability caused by chemo damage.

Any WAGs as to how this will be rated. I have read that the VA considers watchful waiting as continuing treatment and continues the temporary 100% rating. I am so very thankful to be in remission after suffering for a couple of years battling NHL. I have nothing but praise for the treatment I received from the VA Staff in Tucson, AZ. To all here.. Thanks for your helpful comments.

Edited by Norris

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I am so glad that you are doing so well
now.

“Audio exam ordered. Examiner
also wrote that my ability to work is impacted due to the bilateral
peripheral neuropathy and easy fatigability caused by chemo damage. “

Have you formally claimed the bilateral
PN and the hearling loss as secondary to the NHL?

Any other disabilities you have that
could warrant secondary SC?

Have you filed for TDIU?

“I have read that the VA considers
watchful waiting as continuing treatment and continues the temporary
100% rating.” They did that for a good friend of mine but he had
many complex other complications (It was a 1151 issue so they
had to maintain his 100% NHL award as P& T.)

“I am so very thankful to be in
remission after suffering for a couple of years battling NHL. I
have nothing but praise for the treatment I received from the VA
Staff in Tucson, AZ.”

It is always good to read that a
veteran is happy with their VA medical care.

The bilateral PN ratings are within the VA Schedule of Ratings here in one of te forum links ...the audiio hard to determine that rationg until you get the full audio report.

I feel you should be looking at TDIU. What is the 40 % SC you have now for?

Berta, Thanks so very much for the informative post. You asked what my previous 40% rating was. I was previously awarded 20 percent for hearing loss (I flew HUEYs in Vietnam). 10% for Tinnitus (caused by blow to head during crash in Vietnam) and 20% for diabetes. The VA math added up to 40%. I have not filed for any disabilities for the residuals from my Lymphoma and the chemo. I was under the impression that the VA ordered C&P exam after my treatments was an automatic noification to the VA Rating Officials and that I did not have to file a seperate claim.

The C&P doctor did state on the C&P examination paperwork, that "Veteran unable to work" or words to that effect, due to the easy fatigability and bilat feet/leg numbness. He also noted that I was employed by General Dynamics Corp prior to the cancer and I had to terminate my employment due to the effects of the cancer and subsquient chemo treatments. Thanks for your concern.... I did receive excellent care from the entire VA staff, again I have nothing but praise for the treatment and care I was given.

Norris, In my fight against prostate cancer the chemo cause great problem's PN. Being rated with 60% left leg, 40% right leg and 10% for hands. It's a lot worst in the 2 years ago I had the chemo. The chemo did not work and on to other drugs.

You need to file for the secondary conditions and maybe SSDI. Thanks for your sevice!

Senior CPO... Thanks for the comments. Sorry your chemo didn't do what it was supposed to for you. Hope you are doing well.. Reference the SSI, I think I am too old to apply for that. I have been rated by the VA at 100% for the last couple of years and I think that, I will be downgraded. I did read that if the oncologist has you on the Watch and Wait, that is considered treatment, infact that is what the C&P doctor wrote on his paperwork. That I was in remission but undergoing treatment consisting of Watchful Waiting. What I was saying is that there is a posibility that the VA will continue my 100% just based on that. I really don't know. The C&P doctor classified my PN as severe, both legs. Thanks again and good luck with your treatments.....