VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Im Hoping To Get Some Help. Not Sure What To Do Now?

Rate this question

That guy198742

Question

Heres my situation. 10% Service connected for arthritis, degenerative disk disease in my thoracic region. I always complained that the pain was coming from my lumbar region, but they always took an x ray and said thoracic. I got the MRI a few weeks back and it turns out i have arthritis in thelumbar region and also slight bulged disk. This is what has been causing me these problems and they are just now finding out. Without over exaggerating, I have a constant back pain. 24/7. I lost a job and missed a promotion because i wore a back brace to work. I really wanna work but i just cant do it with my back!. I have had 4 incapacitating episodes where i had to be treated at my local VA in the 1 1/2 years.

Does it sound like i warrant more than a 10%?

Will i need to file a new claim for the condition that hadnt been discovered till now?

I already felt like i needed to file a claim for an increase. Does it sound like i should get one?

Sorry for throwing so much out there, The VFW or is shit and wont return my call and i dont know what i have to do next. I just want to fix my back and not become addicted to painkillers.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Heres my situation. 10% Service connected for arthritis, degenerative disk disease in my thoracic region. I always complained that the pain was coming from my lumbar region, but they always took an x ray and said thoracic. I got the MRI a few weeks back and it turns out i have arthritis in thelumbar region and also slight bulged disk. This is what has been causing me these problems and they are just now finding out. Without over exaggerating, I have a constant back pain. 24/7. I lost a job and missed a promotion because i wore a back brace to work. I really wanna work but i just cant do it with my back!. I have had 4 incapacitating episodes where i had to be treated at my local VA in the 1 1/2 years.

Does it sound like i warrant more than a 10%?

Will i need to file a new claim for the condition that hadnt been discovered till now?

I already felt like i needed to file a claim for an increase. Does it sound like i should get one?

Sorry for throwing so much out there, The VFW or is shit and wont return my call and i dont know what i have to do next. I just want to fix my back and not become addicted to painkillers.

What was the date of your last rating decision where you were awarded the 10%? If it was within one year, you may request a re-consideration and submit all your medical documentation to support your claim.

If your rating decision was longer than one year, yes, request a re-evaluation of your current 10% rating.

I would also request an evaluation for the degenerative disc disease and arthritis (lumbar region) secondary to your current condition.

Also, when submitting a claim, use VA FM 21-526ez. This is a fully developed claim. Submit all medical documentation to support your claim.

Remember, with the exception of the arthritis, your disability will be determined on your range of motion. If you submit a claim, I believe the VA will schedule you a C/P exam. When the Doc has you bending and twisting, you should stop immediately when you feel pain, pinching or tightning of the muscles in your back. I see veterans too often when they are told to touch their toes, they will and when doing so will be in a great deal of pain. by doing that will keep you at the 10%. Like I said just stop when you start feeling the above symptoms.

I see that you are rated 10% overall. I would submit a VA FM 21-686c with your application. Include a copy of your marriage license, birth certificates for all children, to include social security numbers for all.

When a veteran is rated 30% and above, said veteran is authorized to collect additional monies for their spouse and children.

The 21-526ez and 21-686c are not hard forms to complete. When you do have them completed, have all your documentation, just send to the VARO listed at the top of the first page of your rating decision.

Good luck!

When was the date of your last evaluation? If it was within one year, you can submit a request for a reconsideration and send all medical documentation in support of your claim.

If the claim is longer than the one year, you can submit a claim for a re-evaluation.

I would suggest that you file a claim to re-evaluate your current condition that is 10%. I would also request an evaluation for the herniated disc and arthritis, secondary to your current condition.

I would complete a VA FM 21-526ez (fully developed claim) and provide all medical documentation to support your claim.

Also, I would complete a VA FM 21-686c (dependency), provide a copy of your marriage certificate and birth certificate for each child. When a veteran is rated 30% or higher, they receive additional monies for their family. In my opinion, based on what you wrote above, a 30% or higher may be warranted.

Remember, when you submit these documents, make sure you send all documents to support your claim. These claims are being adjudicated within 90 days in many of the VARO's

The VA will schedule you for a C/P exam. When you attend this exam, they will have you touch your toes, bend sideways and twist your upper torso left and right. You should remember that as soon as you begin a movement, you should stop as soon as you feel pain, tightning of the muscles or spasms. If you bend over and touch your toes, 10% is what you will receive. Each veteran that I see is told the same thing, stop when experiencing the symptoms I listed above

When you have these claims completed, all documentation is enclosed, send them to the VARO listed at the top of page one on your previous rating decision. Of course, send them registered mail of course and keep copies of everything you send.

Good luck!

Have you applied for SSD?

I hope this thread can come back to life for me, I did apply but havent heard anything back. since I am only 25, do you think i will qualify? Im in a holding pattern as of now. I filed for an increase after talking with my vfw rep. I am supposed to start a very good job as a substation electrician apprentice, and I am worried my condition will get in the way. I am going to be honest on my physical about all of my back problems. I was wondering if that was the scenario (i couldnt complete my apprenticeship because of back issues) will i be able to attain an unemployability rating? Im very unsure about the unemployability rating as i have only heard of it here on the forum. Once again thanks for responses.