Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Filing A 21-526B

Rate this question

indyman

Question

Since joining this site I have learned so much and I thank you all for that. I have an IU claim that I was told has gone to the rating board. During my C&P exam the NP noted that my lower PN has worsened. She rated it as moderately severe from the mild category. And this was bi lateral. I am 10% bi lateral PN (lower) now. She also noted my carpal tunnal syndrome had worsened in my upper extremeties, and I more likely than not have an underlying overlay of PN at the moderate level.

My question is: Since I do not think the IU will be awarded and I do not think they will increase my upper and lower bi lateral PN, since it came from a NP during a C&P should I file for an increase using the 21-526b, and refer to the C&P exam or wait until the decision is made.

Also, since the C&P exam I have been diagnosed with osteoporsis. I am really at a loss on what to do with that. It was done at the VA. Is there any link between osteoporosis and PN.

Also during the C&P exam the NP noted I now wear leg braces to walk (afo's) due to foot drop and worsening PN.

Any input would help. I am chomping at the bitt to file the 21-526b but do not want to mess up the IU claim. Thanks folks. I meant what I said, you all are a ton of help.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Your IU claim is basicly a request for increase. IMHO, I would wait for a decision on the claim. While you're waiting, if you have insurance, go to a private neurologist and have testing done. More often than not, their equipment is more up to date than the VA's and you will have a more accurate DX of the severity of your PN. Then if you aren't satisfied with your RO's decision, you have good outside medical evidence to fight them with. Filing a claim now will probably put you back to square 1.

Edited by johnjjr

wait for a decision! like stated above, when you submit a request for TDIU, you are requesting an increase in your SC ratings. it sounds like you have a lot of things going on. wait and see what the final decision is. Some of the conditions may have been taken care of during your C/P exam.

When you get your rating decision, review it and if there is something you don't agree with you can submit a NOD and explain to re-submit your rationale why you disagree and any IMO's would be great. Still wait until you receive your rating decision.

If and when you submit for additional claims, use VA FM 21-526ez. This is a fully developed claim. this requires the veteran to submit any and all medical documentation with the claim. these claims are taking some VARO's 90 days to adjudicate.

Be patient and await your rating decision, you may be suprised...

Edited by meghp0405