Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Introduction - Retiring Soon - Question About Meniere's Disease

Rate this question

SergeantJack

Question

Hello, this is my first post. I'm a 20-year USAF veteran, retiring 1 August and beginning terminal in mid-May. I'm awaiting an appointment with the DAV to help me begin dealing with the VA. I recently picked up my copy of my medical records, and they're six volumes thick.

I've had some alarming news today. I've been having dizzy spells for a few years now, but I always chalked it up to low blood sugar. Three weeks ago I was knocked flat with a loud ringing in my left ear and vertigo that had me staggering. It continued the next day, so I went in to sick call. The doc put me on quarters with Valium, and made appointments with Audiology and ENT. I've been having attacks nearly every day since then. I've had both those visits now, and after my hearing test, all the docs agree it is Meniere's disease.

My question is: what do I need to do from here on out to prepare for my visit with the DAV and the VA? I've been keeping a log of all my attacks and the meds I'm taking, and I've got my med records ready to go. Is there something in particular I need to prepare to demonstrate that I suffer from this illness, or are the entries in my record by Audiology and ENT sufficient proof?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm so glad I found this doing a search! I'm a 31 yr old active duty Marine Sgt (prior Army Reserve) and I've been dealing with Meniere's for over a decade (with the first solid diagnosis THIS YEAR). I just fininshed my last VA compensation & pension exam, and as soon as my BC signs my NMA..it'll be MEB time. I'm nervous about Fit/un-Fit when it gets to PEB, because though I know what it's like, how it affects me, and the danger it poses to myself and others as a Combat Engineer.. I also know the year long battle and the attitude of some doctors along the way just for me to get referred for the board.

Btw, I'm not a doctor or medic, but Meclazine became over-the-counter some years back and you can find it in just about any decent sized store with a medicine aisle. It's fairly effective (in my experience) with dealing with a vertigo attack, but though it may be labeled as "non drowsy" I've fallen asleep standing up while drinking water out of a camel back while on it. Just some info from a "vertigo veteran" to maybe ask your doc about.

I would agree with all that posted here. I retired in August of 2011 and I too was diagnosed with Menieres late in my career. I had a laundry list of issues from my tours in the desert which were all rated separately and my Menieres was rated 100% permanent and total. Best advise I can give you now other than to get everything well documented is that when your filling out your compensation package, DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT check the box that reads that you choose to receive retirement in lieu of disability. Not sure why they even have that box in there but that is the situation I am in now. Final decision made in April 2013 and I have yet to see a penny because of that box that was checked..If you want the lay down on what I went through with the C&P exam with a the VA doctors for the menieres, drop me an e-mail at macduncanusn@gmail.com.

This is to follow up. I just received notification that I was awarded 100% for Meniere's syndrome. Amazing relief.

Took just a shade under 12 months, start to finish.

Edited by SergeantJack