Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Still Ad Getting Ready To File Claim, What Do I Need?

Rate this question

jesusplay

Question

Got my separation date...What all Do I need to do to start my 1st claim? I see I can do this on ebenefits.

Should I get all my medical and mental health files and scan them to the computer and submit online?

Should I get my current military PCM to fill out a dbq?

What all do I need?? Had a briefing about this but they didn't explain anything and I haven't been able to get ahold of a VSO.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Details, details, it's all in the details.

Copies of all medical records of any kind pertinent to the claim.

If the PCM is willing to fill out a DBQ, or other favorable documents, I'd try and get them.

What do I need?

For a VA claim (In general)

DD-214 (record of military service)

Military Medical Records and any other appropriate records.

Filled out VA claim form sent to the VA (Certified Mail, return receipt.)

The claim form or letter should state what you are claiming (condition),

and that you are applying for all benefits you are entitled to.

The vawatchdog.com web site can/should be looked at for more detailed information.

More specifics concerning your separation date and so forth (how/why) might be useful in getting more information related to your claim.

You will encounter the phrase "fully developed claim", and that the VA supposedly can "fast track" such.

It will not hurt your claim if you can actually submit a fully developed claim, and might shorten the VA process a bit.

if you are still active duty, have you not gone through the ACAP briefing? They have a transitional service officer who assits those on active duty with their claims. Like Chuck75 stated above, secure a copy of any and all medical records, your DD FM 214, if you are married, copies of your marriage certificate. If you or your wife have previous marriages, you will also need to submit a copy of the marriage certificate and divorce decree from each marriage. Include birth certificates and social security number for each child. Complete the following forms, VA FMs 21-22, 21-526ez, 21-686c and 21-4138. The 21-22 is a power of attorney if you have a service officer from veterans organization assist you in the completion of your claims packet.

I would NOT submit this over the web to the ebenefits site. I have seen so many veterans in my office, that did this process, only to find that the va never received their claims, documents missing, etc. I believe that you would be best to complete the documentation that was spoken about, place it in a package and send it to VA. That way you have a copy of everything that was submitted and notification of when the VA received your claim. I would also highly suggest that you submit this as a fully developed claim. These claims are being done in record time. I have submitted over 400 FDC's last year, all were completed within 90 days. I know that's hard to believe, but they have. The only exception was this, if an individual was retiring out of the service and was awarded 50% or greater, then the claim goes to DFAS for the pay accounting of your claim.

Again, don't do this over the web and secondly obtain assistance from your transitional VSO. Do a fully developed claim! Do not let anyone talk you into doing a BDD claim. All the BDD claims are being sent to winston-salem VARO and they are taking close to 2 years to adjudicate. Also, their bonuses are determined on how many of these claims they submit.

Good luck and that you for your service!

Fabulous info Meg - for many who are guest readers but might be in the transition phase of their discharge.

FDC is the way to go.

My daughter told me at the VA Claims transition briefing they had a vet rep from the AL right there to answer questions.

She said the briefing was Very good ( but sure not the nitty gritty all newly discharged need to know)

BTW my daughter earned significant college credits during her 7 years USAF.

All of that has to be brought to the attention of the inservice educational department ....dont know who that would be..long before the discharge date, in order to receive the proper documentation you need if you plan on college and have earned some credits while in the Mil.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.