Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Competent Or Not

Rate this question

Lenkl

Question

Does it take a DR to state if a veteran is competent or can VA do it themselves, I made a couple statements on my dads TBI claim such as we pay his bills also that he forgets dates. He has never been diagnosed incompetent by a professional.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

A C&P examiner, (who may not be a doctor) can render an opinion, along with others, based upon the medical information and any statements of record.

The RO, in turn, can use this to make a determination of incompetency to handle VA sourced funds. To begin to understand the VA fiduciary "system", and the pitfalls,

I suggest that you look on the vawatchdog.com web site.

Chuck

I looked at dads last C&P exam from Sept 2012 he was rated 70% for depression the rater said he managed and was competent to take care of his finance's. Should I wait to here from VA or send them a letter from the DR that his mind has improved since they changed his medicine.

send in the letter and quick! It's better to get that in to your VARO and have it reviewed as part of his claim then wait and see what VA does. Once a veteran is determined to be incompetent and a fudiciary is in place, it's really tough to get that decision reversed.