Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good News! Finally - After A Long Wait... Retro Arrived

Rate this question

Joep

Question

Hello all;

After I lost my good paying job, the retro became a high priority for my family. I learned a lot from this forum and wanted to give my stats so others who are also waiting might be able to use my situation when guessing the average wait time.

After a two year wait after submitting my NOD; I was awarded an increase dated to my discharge date almost 4 years prior.

My NOD was settled in July 2012 with the new monthly disability in the 1 Aug 12 pay. The VA submitted audit paperwork to the USAF DFAS who had till 16 Aug 12 to return it back to the VA. They completed their part on time and it was waiting processing with the VA until 21 March 13.

So my wait time with the VA was 8 months; I was expecting at least 12 months before I would hear anything so I am grateful.

I am still waiting on retro for my child who turned 18 while in high school, then college. I now realize that we must submit paperwork when they turn 17 to prevent them from being dropped while still in school, then provide additional information after the fact which was taking about a year to process.

Attempts to request expedited VA retro processing when I lost my job failed. The VA required proof of overdue bills and or a ruined credit report before they would consider early processing. I would have continued to use my kids college savings before that while I was getting my feet back on the ground with another good paying job. On a positive note, I did get another job, but at only 25% of what I had previously so the VA retro is a blessing till something else comes along.

I wish to send a huge THANK YOU to all on this forum. There is a lot of good information and good people who are always here to help others.

I did ask the DAV to help expedite my processing but didn't get any positive feedback about success so there is a possibility that they were able to do something but not sure. I do appreciate their support in trying even if it didn't work out, and also a big Thank You if they were successful.

Again, Thank you to all; my retro was significant and a big stress relief.

Sincerely,

Joe

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

This is wonderful and uplifting News ,Joe.

So many here are waiting and the light is at the end of the tunnel, as long as they have provided VA with the evidence they need to succeed.

I am glad it worked out good for you in spite of the long wait and glad too that DFAS did their job well and fast,for the CRDP (I assume it is CRDP and not CRSC?)

You deserve this due to your sacrifices for our country.

If you find your SCs hinder your employment in the future,don't hesitate to apply for TDIU and also SSDI.

Congratulations!