VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay Reduction/donation/collection Or What?

Rate this question

indyman

Question

I had appointments today at the VA in Indpls. First, they had a notice on the cashiers window that effective May 1, they will mail out travel pay checks to your address, with an expected turn around time of one week. When I went to the window for my cash, I was given six dollars less than the normal twenty four. When I ask, the cashier told me that all veterans were effected, no matter what level of disability. Why the six dollars I ask? To pay into a fund for payment on ambulance fees in the event you have an ambulance take you to a VA facility. Its to offset the expense on the ambulance service. Really, I ask? Having been in law enforcement for many years I started asking some more intrusive questions. Had I still been carrying a badge I most likely would have been advising a really nice lady of her Miranda Rights. I had a friend with me who was learning the ropes of the VA, and I had my hearing aids in. He told me what he heard, and I fully understood what she was saying. She told me the IRS were the starters of this offset/deduction/collection/fine/penalty, and she used all those words in each sentence. I took my eighteen bucks and left. But, when you figure it out, its 25%. Has anyone come across this yet?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA travel office normally reduces travel pay by $3 one way or $6 round trip, and that money goes into a "discretionary" fund, run by the Medical center Director. That money is allegedly used to put on BBQ's and other parties for vets & employees, over the year. I believe that is what you are referring to.

pr

But it has never been done before now. If its discretionary is it part of the 2.2 Billion the VBA/VA spent last year on discretionary funding, and if so, the vets are paying for it?