Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

High Heart Rate, Is It Secondary To Htn

Rate this question

indyman

Question

I had appointments at VA yesterday, and when they were taking my vitals my BP was high, and my heart rate was 124. They gave me three EKG's, and had me rest in a "quiet room" for almost two hrs while they monitored my BP and heart rate. It finally went down to within the normal range. I'm currently SC for HTN at 20%, and I take metaprolol for the heart rate. My metaprolol was increased from 40mg X 2 a day to 100mg X2 a day.

Is the heart rate secondary to HTN, or a separate heart problem. Also, should I file a 21-526ez if they are linked, or just a statement in support of claim? And how will this effect my TDIU claim currently in the discision phase? Should I wait or follow through with it. Any help out there?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

No diagnosis of Pulmanonary HTN that I know of, and one episode of emergency room visit at VA for chest pain. Would I be wasting my time and at the same time gumming up my TDIU claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

No, forget about the claim for a minute. You need to be checked for the reason our pulse is racing. That would trump any claim you have. If you do have PH and it is untreated, Your heart is like an engine and an engine only has so many miles til it blows. Each heart beat is the same and the faster it goes the more it beats. That isnt too good. Ususlly the rapid heart beat comes from the right side of the heart pumping blood through the lungs.

The second issue could be a heart rythem. You may need to see a EP doc.

Cardiomegaly - a known consequence of long-term poorly controlled blood pressure will cause your heart rate to increase. Have they done a heart Echo on you? As a diagnostic test it could reveal If cardiomegaly or Pulmonary hypertension is present (although the heart cath is the gold standard on measuring pulmonary hypertension).

Best regards,