Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Backlog

Rate this question

eddingtons

Question

I am very fortunate that I was awarded 70% SC for Bi-Polar just three months after applying in 2010. I was also very fortunate to have that bumped to 100% just one year later and my wife and most children added without a hitch.

It took six months to have two children added as some how their birth certificates were put in the wrong data base and everytime a representative looked at my claim it appeared as if everything was correct when in reality two children were missing. It took a trip to Louisville and someone manually walking a file to a supervisor to have correction made and then all things were great..

Until one of those two children turned 18 in August of 2012. I submitted the paperwork four times saying she was still in high school. Yet every time I called it was not showing until I had my KY dept of Veteran affairs fax it in..now it shows that it was received but I still have not received compensation for her since she fell off after turning 18.

I had my claim reviewed for a hospitalization and she was not added back, I also had another child born in 2012 who was added but she was not put back on...why look at one part of a claim but not the other.

Now this child is applying to college so I will have to submit more paperwork showing that she is still in school. I have not had her added back for high school yet I have to show proof that she is in college.

How can I get her added and stop her from constantly falling off. I understand that there are much more pressing issues than a simple dependent add but shouldn't they have a seperate dept for simple things like dependent addition/subtractions to free up agents to work on "real" claims? It shows on E-benefits as being in the rating phase. This is not a ratings decision..it is merely adding back a child that was already listed on the claim.

Edited by eddingtons

LC--

I've heard from multiple folks that Ebenefits functionality for adding dependents is finally working. Many, many have submitted their dependency claim online through Ebenefits recently and had it approved within a day or 2. They say retro checks are coming about a week later. This works even if you have already submitted a paper claim and even works if you are expecting retro.

LC--

I've heard from multiple folks that Ebenefits functionality for adding dependents is finally working. Many, many have submitted their dependency claim online through Ebenefits recently and had it approved within a day or 2. They say retro checks are coming about a week later. This works even if you have already submitted a paper claim and even works if you are expecting retro.

Appreciate your advice but I'm trying to add my 25 year old autistic stepdaughter. I had to submit a lot of paperwork (marriage cert, birth cert, her diagnosis when she was age 4, her medical records, and several statements) requesting that she be added as what the VA calls a "helpless child" since she is not in college and dropped off my dependents "list" after age 21.

Yeah, pretty complicated. But all her ducks are in line. Shows up as a non-rating Dependency Claim with Aug 2014 as a possible completion date. Sure, they will pay back pay and all that once it gets approved but I'd love for it to be sooner so as to get her medical coverage. Just gotta wait out the lousy process like everyone else.

Despite it all, I consider myself blessed. My situation is "trivial" as compared to many others. Thanks anyway for caring enough to reply.

LC

I submitted the paperwork and marriage licenses for my new spouse in Feb 2013. The ebenefits portal gave a deadline for review of 26 Jan 14. That date has come and gone. Do I really need to contact my Congressional representative to get this through?