Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If 100% But Not Pt Should You Apply For Pt

Rate this question

eddingtons

Question

I was rated 100% in March of 2010. My disability is Bi-Polar and I was determined to be unemployable but in same ratings letter they stated that I was 100% so unemployability was not necessary.

I go to VA for all of my health needs and my children have a medical card through the state of KY but my wife does not have health coverage. Because I am not PT my dependents do not qualify for Champ VA..

I have thought about applying for PT but my rep through Kentucky Dept of Veteran Affairs and others at Louisville regional office all say dont rock the boat. You are 100% but if you draw attention to that you are asking for trouble and may get reduced.

Personally I dont see my condition ever improving. Technically it is PTSD due to sexual trauma aboard a ship but I have not applied for compensation for PTSD as I receive compensation for Bi-Polar.

Quesion.. can I submit evidence of PTSD without a new claim?

Are these service reps correct that asking to be PT to provide health insurance for my family could hurt my family?

I really worry about leaving my family if I should die without money. I tried to get additional term life insurance but was turned down flat by many insurance companies because I have had in patient hospital stays related to my mental illness. It seems wrong that my mental illness causes me to be hospitalized at the VA yet if I died tomorrow I could not protect my families support. My wife and children would only receive compensation if I died as a result of my SC disablity..not likely unless I commit suicide or die of a drug related illness.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I requested P&T within one year of getting TDIU. I got my private doctor to just say that my condition was permanent and would not improve. ChampVA is a good benefit and so are educational benefits and state benefits for those that are P&T. I sure would claim it.

If you have SSD then you should be good to go for p&t, but as John and Carlie say get a statement from your doctor to say your condition is static. That personality disorder gag is a dirty trick. The Navy knew they were screwing you out of benefits.

John