Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal Started In 2008, Form 9 Submitted 2010. No Reply From Va?

Rate this question

mrkman123

Question

at a total loss, pls help....have been awarded 5 honorable discharges and have been seeing va psychologist last 5 years for ptsd, was first diagnosed in 1992 one month after service seperation. have been on meds since beginning treatment, social security disabled, submitted c-file and 6 weeks later approved, reason ptsd. still va refused to acknowledge service connection. medical records show attempted suicide, explosion, eletricution, personal assaults, and concussion w/ ptsd symptoms. psychiatric c&p took all of 7 minutes and states personality disorder, and that the explosion and assaults during service were not of a significant value as to have caused ptsd. now have a lawyer, board certified and a counsel member of NOVA. (national organization of veteran affairs). she submitted a claim for an aquired psychiatric disorder including ptsd. She states, the lawyer, baby steps are what we are taking and forcing the RO to do thier jobs.. and I feel everything is on hold and placed in limbo....any advice?

Edited by mrkman123

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Your initial post stated:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

“at a total loss, pls help....have been awarded 5 honorable discharges and have been seeing va psychologist last 5 years for ptsd, was first diagnosed in 1992 one month after service seperation. have been on meds since beginning treatment, social security disabled, submitted c-file and 6 weeks later approved, reason ptsd. still va refused to acknowledge service connection. medical records show attempted suicide, explosion, eletricution, personal assaults, and concussion w/ ptsd symptoms. psychiatric c&p took all of 7 minutes and states personality disorder, and that the explosion and assaults during service were not of a significant value as to have caused ptsd. now have a lawyer, board certified and a counsel member of NOVA. (national organization of veteran affairs). she submitted a claim for an aquired psychiatric disorder including ptsd. She states, the lawyer, baby steps are what we are taking and forcing the RO to do thier jobs.. and I feel everything is on hold and placed in limbo....any advice? “

what do you mean here:

'6 weeks later approved, reason ptsd. still va refused to acknowledge service connection.'

What documentation indicated to you that the claim was "approved".

“c&p took all of 7 minutes and states personality disorder, and that the explosion and assaults during service were not of a significant value as to have caused ptsd. now have a lawyer, board certified and a counsel member of NOVA. (national organization of veteran affairs). she submitted a claim for an aquired psychiatric disorder including ptsd.”

I assume you have an Appeal filed for the original claim for PTSD?

And then your lawyer filed a new claim for Acquired psychiatric disorder....?

I also assume the lawyer was retained because you had filed a NOD on the initial denied claim.

What status does your lawyer have on the initial claim and appeal?

Here are the contact numbers for the BVA to see if they have the appeal there:

This is the main BVA phone number:
1- 202- 565- 5436

Also this is the email for the BVA ombudsman:

bva.ombudsman@va.gov

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

first question, submitted c-file to Social Security Administration, they disabled me 6 weeks later for ptsd. appealed original claim in 2008, after the VA denied service connection. Status on the initial claim, still being processed at the regional office, along with the Form 9, submitted in 2010.

first question, submitted c-file to Social Security Administration, they disabled me 6 weeks later for ptsd. appealed original claim in 2008, after the VA denied service connection. Status on the initial claim, still being processed at the regional office, along with the Form 9, submitted in 2010.

SSA and VBA are two completely different animals.

Just because SSA grants benefits for a specific disability

or list of conditions does not make it service connected with VBA.

VBA only relates to SC'd conditions.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

In 1991, was assaulted on board my ship and left for dead. At this time I had just been selected for E-7, and had one more year until retirement. the head injury left me with a tbi/concussion, and a 180 degree change in performance and behavior. Six months later honorably separated from the navy for high year tenure. Was diagnosed w/ ptsd and depression in 1992, from the veterans center in san Antonio, one month after service separation. went to the VA outpatient hospital, was told to put in a claim. requested medical services for residuals effects from the concussion, and was denied assistance from the VA hospital because injuries were non-combat related. Ceased seeing any one else for 13 years, and used alcohol and pot to self medicate.. In 2007, due to inability to work, went back to the VA for help. was told to submit a claim, and received a VA id card. Tested for ptsd, results severe, chronic ptsd.... At this time started treatment for ptsd, and major depressive disorder, continued treatment for six years. In 2010, put in application for social security benefits at the request of my Va psychologist, he assisted me w/ six diagnostic summaries and a complete nexus letter, stating the personal assault in 1991, and near fatal electrocution and explosion in 1982. Are the specific stressors that caused the ptsd and major depression. Social Security disabled me 5 and a half weeks later for ptsd, and a copy of my C-file was all I submitted. Varo states they cannot verify the stressors, yet medical records and personnel files not only verify the injuries, but the changes in behavior and conduct after the injuries.....

SSA and VBA are two completely different animals.

Just because SSA grants benefits for a specific disability

or list of conditions does not make it service connected with VBA.

VBA only relates to SC'd conditions.

Yes Mam, This is understood. Yet, this documentation and all the other evidence of record, should provide the VARO with proof of non-combat related stressors.