Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Raters To Work Manditory Overtime On Claims Till Sept 30Th

Rate this question

manning01

Question

Check this article out. Glad to see they are making them work more hours to work on our claims that have been sitting around collecting dust. Whether they accomplish anything more from this OT remains to be seen along with these so called provisional claims. At the same time as a DOD employee I'll be taking 11 days of furlough time off without pay starting in July till Sept while they do all this extra OT to make them look like they saved the day for us vets.

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2444

http://www.stripes.com/news/va-workers-told-to-work-overtime-to-clear-claims-backlog-1.221099

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I do not think 20 hrs will really have an effect, other than taking the VA employees to a new all time low in morale and productivity. What I do not understand fully is the VBA has never to my knowledge worked more than one shift, except maybe coming in an hour later and staying a hour longer. Why they don't work two shifts is beyond me. Maybe an 8 to 4 and a 2 to 10? And maybe just until the backlog starts to show some relief. And 20 hours only raises the paycheck that is ate up by the tax man.

it's because they don't want to pay us the night differential...that's why they won't let us work past 6p.

It's actually disgusting that only VA (as far as i know) has been exempt from the furough, yet every other federal employee faces o pay for 11 days. Why we haven't risen as a nation & slain Congress is beyond me. Manning, my friend works in DoD as well & he keeps me updated on the goings-on over there, so I feel both your pain. :(

Yes, they did give us VA folk mandatory overtime (OT for short), which is usually more trouble than it's worth, since many of us will gladly work the non-mandatory hours if only they wouldn't put so many caps & stipulations on it. This all came about becuz COngress is trying to make a push to finish ALL over 2 yr claims. We in Ny have been making that our priority since Oct. so for us it's just business as usual, except they want us to step it up. The extra OT DOES result in more cases done. The problem is a lot of cases need developing & exams, which can take a long time, and in the meantime some genius in congress has decided to rearrange the teams YET AGAIN, in addition to the implementation of a brand new system that we will have to learn, so....yeah, lots of things happening at VA. Though I can assure u aggie, no one at my office is taking it easy & working only 'half the time' ;)

I worked in a state government office as a Supervisor. I KNOW most folks do their job. Too many do just that - no more or less. A few do MORE than others. NO ONE should be blaming the individuals for this backlog. It is the system that obviously isn't working. Now with forced attention to the KNOWN backlog, improvement will be recognized and it will be greatly reduced. (Wondering why so many cases over 2 years would still need developing and exams???? Now that sounds like they sat WAY too long, I don't understand how or why this is the case. Who is watching these cases? Do you provide progress reports? Accountability sounds like a watch dog but in fact it is a helper to the worker. It gives YOU the much needed tool to get the help you need. It puts a more realistic view of the over-all operation to Administration. If they see the problem, it is their responsibility to fix it BEFORE it becomes the run away freight train that it is now.)

OT is a band aide! Unless the system is improved and accountability designed for the worker but more importantly to Administration, the backlog will continue. Fact is that you are building a new one while reducing or eliminating the existing one. Tunnel vision or focus on the light at the end of the tunnel is government's way. Right now the VA is a deer in the head-light with recent media interest. Congress is acting for political reasons as if they didn't know about all this YEARS ago! Changing your "teams" and introducing a new system to learn while in a crisis is also par to the course for government operations. (NO idea what you mean by that but have seen mandated changes imposed at the worst possible time in my state government job.) Wondering how much of the OT hours will be credited to these changes because while learning the productivity will be hindered during regular working hours. Personally hoping that the CAPS and STIPULATIONS you mention include accountability for the time you spend on OT. (Some WILL take advantage and apply regular hours ineffectively especially when mandated and not wanted by the employee. It is human nature, they do not see it as being dishonest. However, MOST will find this a HUGE relief because they want to manage their workload and get back to it as well as the 2+ year claims. For them, it feels good to be on top of their work assignments rather than buried by the faults of others or the system in general.)

So, hang in there in New York! Do what you can do and with the pride you deserve. As much as I thank all the Veterans who serve or have served this great country of ours, I thank you who strive to help us out when we need it. Your post was much appreciated.

71M10,

Don't believe that your idea about the Attorneys forwarding fraudulent claims would be investigated and jailed if they committed a crime by submitting a frivolous claim will fly.

Any veteran has the right to submit a claim when he/she wants. You can not tell a veteran that they can not submit a claim, regardless of what your opinion is about the claim.

Veldrina, in no way did I mean that your office was one of the offices that the employees are only there half the time. This remark was meant for the Los Angeles RO. Every time I call that office it always seems that they are either in a meeting, out for lunch, with a client, or have the day off, What the heck. So, I'll leave messages only to be called back 3 to 4 weeks later, and that's if I'm lucky to get a call back. I know for a fact that the RO in New York is working hard and long hours, because I have a few friends in that area that had their claims finished well under 365 days, now why can't that happen to the rest of the veterans, especially to the one's like me that are going on three years on their initial claims?

71M10,

Don't believe that your idea about the Attorneys forwarding fraudulent claims would be investigated and jailed if they committed a crime by submitting a frivolous claim will fly.

Any veteran has the right to submit a claim when he/she wants. You can not tell a veteran that they can not submit a claim, regardless of what your opinion is about the claim.

No where did I suggest that a veteran would be prevented from filling a claim. An Attorney, as an officer of the Court cannot file papers with the court that they know are fraudulent. Within that Idea, A veteran would not be required to use an attorney, but using an attorney would cause all the development and organization of the claim to be done outside the regional office. More specifically in the attornies office(that the veteran picked) who would not be paid until it is complete. This is an Idea, not a solution that is turn key ready. Those that like the system as is, would be more than welcome to still use it.

If they ever worked 8 hours in any one day actually trying to help a veteran they could take the rest of the week off.

Veterans are supposed to get the benefit of the doubt on all claims and cases because they are not lawyers. This is not happening. The VA is overexamining every nickel and dime and making up the rules as they go. Totally ignoring CFR 38. We need to march on Washington. Slow

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.