VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Change In Medication

Rate this topic

I received a letter yesterday from the MEDVAMC (Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center)Houston, informing me of a change in medication. It appears they are switching from Rosuvastatin (Crestor) to Atorvastatin (Lipitor). I am wondering if this is nationwide with the VAMC or just Houston or on an individual basis. I haven't seen my PCP since my annual exam in January.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They refused Crestor for my husband 2 years ago. It cost more for the VA than Other meds. We pay private for it since private cardio doctor said it was better. The VA has a book call the Pharmacy approved drugs, approved by the pharmacist and medical staff of the VA. All hospital have this but private hospital will override it but at the VA.. not approved by the committee for Pharmacy.............you don't get it. They say it is medically appropriate, but they do lean to lower cost drugs ............

I appreciate the reply, I spoke with my Daddy and he didn't like the side affect of muscle and joint pain. Yeah I just received the letter out of the clear blue....

• HadIt.com Elder

They do this all the time mostly for saving money but sopmetimes they find a problem with medications not working well tohether.

Google Crestor and see if anything comes up.

I was taken off an anti depressant cause they said it caused a brain problem in some patients. It really was expensive.

Lipitor is now generic and lot cheaper than Crfestor

• HadIt.com Elder

I was told the same thing yesterday about Crestor. It is nationwide because generic lipitor is less expensive. Lipitor is a good drug and both are statins so they are really the same drug family with a few quirks to each drug.