Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Claim

Rate this question

Kray

Question

In July 2012 I submitted my Dependent claim. In October, eBenefits site showed the claim was closed but no letter sent. Since I have never heard from the VA, I submitted info to IRIS in January 2013 and the VA reported claim was closed by mistake and they will re-open it. They started new claim, April 24, 2013, stating something was missing, giving me 30 days to provide missing data. I re-submitted in writing April 25 the requested information, plus uploaded same data via the web site on the same date. Nothing appeared on web site so I submitted same data on May 11, 2013 and uploaded to the site again.

On May 31, they closed the case stating I had not sent the required data. I mailed it to them again on May 31, 2013 and uploaded to the site again. Still nothing appears on the eBenefits site. On June 17, 2013 I mailed same info again. Nothing appears on eBenefits site as of today.

My question is "What is my required next step". Should I now appeal the claim or allow more time? If I appeal, what form and how do I do it?

It appears to me that the VA tosses paperwork in file 13 as I have now sent it seven times and received nothing. Yes I the letters have been signed for.

Thank You.

Ken

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You can not appeal until you receive a rating decision from the VA.

Don't always rely on e-benefits, it's very seldom up to date, even uploading documents, which the VA conveniently misplaces.

contact a veteran service officer at the VARO in your state. They have the capability of finding out the disposition of your claim. It might even do yourself well to take a day, bring all documents with you and head to the VARO.

once you find out the status, then you can take the next step. About 3 years ago the VA started working the dependency issues as an additional duty. The longest I have seen a dependency claim is 20 months.

Don't always rely on e-benefits, it's very seldom up to date, even uploading documents, which the VA conveniently misplaces.

contact a veteran service officer at the VARO in your state. They have the capability of finding out the disposition of your claim. It might even do yourself well to take a day, bring all documents with you and head to the VARO.

once you find out the status, then you can take the next step. About 3 years ago the VA started working the dependency issues as an additional duty. The longest I have seen a dependency claim is 20 months.

megh,

I have been struggling with my claim for additional dependent compensation allowance,

since 1980.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Many thanks for your input. The decision is "the case is closed". The letter says I have one year to Appeal or provide information. I have provided information several times since the case has been closed without it being posted on the web site.

Ken

Today I went to eBenefits site like I do everyday and found my Dependency claim has been re-opened and under REVIEW with a settlement date between 9/9/2013 and 10/30/2013. I also found when I open the claim I find the phase Contentions:vbms(New)

google the term if you don't know what it means but it will still take another 100-140 days to complete.

Edited by Kray

Ken