VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Rated Me Incompetent And I Am Afraid I May Loose My Guns

Rate this question

TBI fishing vet

Question

Hello everyone, I wanted to get some information about how to rebuttal the veteran administration’s decision to rate me as incompetent. The VA rated me for incompetence back in October because of my severe memory loss due to a traumatic brain injury. I feel that I can manage money quite well, in fact much better than most without a tbi. I am young with a large amount of money invested for my age, I own 2 vehicles that are paid off with no debt whatsoever. I manage my money and pay my bills by direct deposit so I don’t have to worry about forgetting any payments and I supervise my accounts with a website called mint.com. I have no kids, no wife, no ex-wife and no drug or alcohol addiction.

One day I received a letter in the mail saying that I have been rated incompetent. It also included the brady act information and the works. I imminently called my federal recovery coordinator for help but she had none. She told me just to wait until my year of supervised direct pay is over and if found competent I will be magically off the brady act and able to go hunting again (you all know that’s not true. I also called the VFW and their advice was to wait as well. I’m afraid if I go turkey hunting this year ill bag a federal offense!

Hunting and shooting is the most enjoyable part of life for me and I've done nothing wrong to be demonized as a person that shouldn’t own a firearm. This is extremely wrong that our government can hurl power like this.

-I need help getting off of this list so I can go hunting again please help!!!

Most recently I have logged onto ebenifits and have found this message and after at least 6 months of sending a statement in supporting claim sent from a doctor stating that I am capable of taking care of my finances.

Please give me suggestions to help expedite this process

Claim received:5/04/13

Claim type: compensation

estimated claim completion date:03/24/14-11/16/14

physician statement veteran is competent (new)

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

"The VA rated me for incompetence back in October".

You stated that you have a later IMO saying you are competent.

For advice and information concerning competency, and VA fiduciary issues,

I'd suggest that you take a look at vawatchdog.com.

In summary, you supposedly had an opportunity to initially disagree with the "proposed" incompetency

rating. Either you missed this, or the VA failed to tell you about it. Now, a notice of disagreement

is most likely your next step if you haven't already filed it.

I really don't know what would happen if you somehow were able to get a ruling of competency from a judge in the conventional court system.

The VA never does things in a hurry, until it has some overriding reason.

The VA sent me a letter that I forgot to respond to. I'm working with the VFW to send a notice of disagreement to piggyback the letter from the doctor saying that I am handling my finances well alone.

I feel like once I become rated competent I will have another battle getting my name off of the brady bill.

I found all of this out when I went to buy a shotgun and was turned down by the background check.

I asked my case manager about it. If she or any VA employee reports me will/can they show up at my doorstep?

How can I make this go away fast?

• HadIt.com Elder

Call Doug Rougskinskel at 803 256 9555 or Bob Walek 269 262 9693 ASAP perhaps one

of them can help they are Attorneys that know VA law..