Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Problems To Ptsd

Rate this question

Metoo

Question

Hi,

I have done research on valid medical problems that are secondary to PTSD. Does anyone know for sure, or have a list of secondary conditions to PTSD that the VA has a history of granting SC on? I know of ED, but and curious if anyone else knows of others.

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

There may be some list but you need a medical opinion to connect any secondary condition except a rare few. I connected heart disease to DMII but I had a medical opinion and it took an appeal to get it. I also claimed PN as secondary to the DMII (AO) and that required a C&P exam and another appeal.

John

I understand you need a medical opinion in order to link them. Just curious if there is a list or case law allowing/linking certain symptoms/medical problems secondary to PTSD?

Hi,

I have done research on valid medical problems that are secondary to PTSD. Does anyone know for sure, or have a list of secondary conditions to PTSD that the VA has a history of granting SC on? I know of ED, but and curious if anyone else knows of others.

Thanks.

No, there is not a list that VA goes by.

It would be best for you to discuss this issue with your doctor/s

and get their opinions on what you have and what it might be secondary to.

VBA disability benefits and the adjudication criteria, aren't supposed to be a fishing expedition

for the VA or the claimant.

BTW - ED would rarely if ever - be secondary to PTSD,

It would be more likely to receive service connection for ED,

secondary to RX meds taken for treatment of service connected PTSD.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

There probably is a list somewhere. I knew a Nam vet who got his heart condition SC'ed as secondary and this was years before IHB via AO became a reality. Why not google it? The VBM has extensive list for DMII and might have something for PTSD. I have heard of morbid obesity being SC'ed as secondary to ptsd. It is whatever the VA will accept I think with medical proofs and opinions. I don't think there are any automatic SC conditions for PTSD as secondary. I could be wrong.

BTW - ED would rarely if ever - be secondary to PTSD,

It would be more likely to receive service connection for ED,

secondary to RX meds taken for treatment of service connected PTSD.

JMHO

Intresting. I am SC for ED which the VA considers to be secondary to my PTSD/mood. I guess my case is rare?

Edited by Metoo