Rate this question

TLaff

Question

Mental Health

Diagnosis #1: Major Depressive Disorder Axis 1

Axis #3 Medical Diagnoses: Back & Neck Condition, Shingles

Axis #4 Psychosocial and Enviromental Problems: Health Issues, Chronic Pain

Axix #5 Current Global Assessment of Functioning Gaf Score 45

Occupational and Social Impairment with deficiencies in most areas, work, school, family relations judgment, thinking and/or mood.

It is my medical opinion that the Veteran's MDD is at least as likely as not secondary to his SC cervical spine and thoracolumbar spine disabilites.

Any idea what this would result in????

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hello to all, I finally recieved copies of my C&P exam for claimed conditions. I actually went in for increase on MH, and add new contentions foot and toe conditions;rhinitis and sinusitis; and headaches. Here are the results: Choose the statement that most closely approximate the etiology of claimed condition: A. (X) The claimed conditions was at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurredin or caused by the claimed by the claimed in - service injury, event, or illness.

C. Rationale: ----Claimed conditions were corroborated as having to occurred during service with a cited diagnosis of Allergic Rhinitis, Chronic Sinusitis, heel blisters, headaches, skin rash(less than 5 % of neck and body).

Results of MH: Occupational and Social Impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation. GAF score 60

What do you guys think?...........

That is the descriptor for the 30% rating level for mental disorders. But it also depends on what symptoms the examiner checked off on the symptoms checklist (Section 2 on the DBQ, I forget what number it is). Symptoms and functional impairment noted by our treating doctors or therapists can also be important. In general, more weight is given to occupational impairment since the entire disability benefits program is based on a veteran's loss of average earnings capacity. However, some Raters, at least from what I've seen, grant higher ratings based on social impairment, even when the vet has a strong work history with no performance problems on the job.

~ Joey

This topic seems to fit my situation.

I had a c&p exam on June 17, 2013 for mental disorders other than ptsd, particularly for increase fir adjustment disorder at 30% .sc residuals from prostate cancer surgery and later radiation after cancer return. The examiner diagnosis was Mood Disorder NOS, ICD code 296.90 axis category I.

Further checked:

Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, and/or mood.

Depressed mood,

Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively

Chronic sleep impairment

Fattened effec

Disturbances of motivation and mood

Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including worklike setting or work

Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships

Suicidal ideation

Impaired impulse control such as provoked irritability

The examiner further states:

It is felt that his adjustment disorder diagnosis is better accounted for at this point by the broader Mood Disorder NOS diagnosis , although their certainly is strong evidence that his depressive symptoms date back to his time in the military and are more likely than not caused by his noted military stressor. Symptom intensity appears to be overall severe with spikes to very severe during periods of stress.

My question(s) are since I have applied for depression, stress headache, ptsd in the past and been denied, do I have a good chance of reopening those issues with earlier effective dates.

I, m a Vietnam vet with agent orange due to prostate cancer at present with temp 100%. Your input is greatly appreciated