• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Ptsd. Received Was Less Than Not Likely

Rate this question

blackcloud

Question

Howdy

I had my C&P on 8-20-2013.

Went to Release of Information today(8-21-2013) and saw the entry "Condition was less likely than not (Less than 50%) incurred in or caused in service. "

My guess is that it will be denied (Am I wrong?).

Background as follows on me

Childhood abuse

Childhood Molestation

Abusive step-dad

Alcoholic mother

Did good in school
Graduated High School as expected

Never had any "run ins with the law"

Joined Navy in 90

Graduated Data Systems school

Given Top Secret Clearance after passing background, health and mental check.

Traumatic event was non-combat in late 92

Shipboard fire

While combating the fire I ended up in the blaze and saw my face-mask; for my respirator; begin to melt closing in on my face. Felt extreme horror that this was the end. Next thing I knew I was being stripped and doused with water, taken to triage in the hanger bay. Was told by unknown medic I was ok.

I was having sleep issues sometime later.

Spoke to my Operations officer about it. He said I could suck it up and move on and keep my clearance and job or seek help and lose clearance and rate (MOS).

I just sucked it down no follow up medically speaking was done.

Was honorably discharged.

Had traumatic event when I was working as a corrections officer in 2004.

Was nearly choked to death during an escape attempt.

I sought help with VA about issues I was having concerning having someone touch near or around my throat area (like hugging).

Managed to get to a point where I felt ok.

Then in 2012 my mother (whom I was fighting with) died in a fire.

When I got to the scene they (the fire department) had just wrapped up and left.

That posed to be too much for me to keep everything down.

I started having flash backs to the fire that nearly claimed my life.

Things went downhill from there.

Nightmares, confrontations with strangers, fights with wife, depression, drinking.

Suicidal thoughts, Being backer acted while in treatment with VA.

DX with PTSD from VA

GAF avg 55

Been in treatment over a year.

From What I have read here I meet the criteria and burden of evidence.

• A Current Disability. There must be a current disability, one that has been diagnosed by a medical professional; DX PTSD from VA
  • An Event In Service. There must be evidence in the military service records of the occurrence or aggravation of a disease, injury, or event in service; and, Shipboard fire
  • Medical Nexus Evidence. There must be a nexus, or link, between the current disability and the in-service disease, injury or event; i.e., the veteran must present medical evidence that the current disability and the in-service disease, injury or event are related. My mothers Death broke the denial I had suppressed from the event in the military.

My question is should I wait for the decision (expected around 04-2014 or 10-2014 according to the ebeneits site) and NOD

OR

Should I upload what I have stated here, on the eBenefits site as information to be considered that appears to have been overlooked in C&P (no mention of my moms death and the relation of how this exasperated my condition)?

I will wait for other to chime in, and will answer any questions as fast as I can.

Thanks to all.

• HadIt.com Elder

less likely means you had better get an imo.

j

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Looks like the majority of your stressors came in civilian life. The shipboard fire sounds a bit spooky tho.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

jbasser
Thanks for the heads up!
Should I get the IMO and submit when denied in late 2014?
OR
Should I get the IMO and upload now via eBenefits?
(either way I am getting the IMO)

• HadIt.com Elder

The sooner the better. WHat ship was the fire on. When was it?

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

“My guess is that it will be denied (Am I wrong? “

Unfortunately I agree with you. at this point........

This crew list from your ship might help you find a Buddy if needed for a buddy statement:

http://navysite.de/crewlist/commandlist.php?commandid=110

Same here:

http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=AssignmentExt&ID=1345023

I went through some sites for your ship to include the ship's official web site but I could not find anything about this specific fire.

Maybe if you google the Philadelphia Inquirer for that year, their archives might have a story on it.

You do have the VA diagnosis of PTSD:

“DX with PTSD from VA “

So the IMO doctor would not have to diagnose you and VA will not accept a non VA MH diagnosis of PTSD anyhow, since the 2010 PTSD regulations came out.

The doctor would have to argue with a full medical rationale that prior to and after this incident regarding the fire, the other stressors you had did not give you PTSD, as this incident onboard the ship did.

“My mothers Death broke the denial I had suppressed from the event in the military.

That is certainly possible.If an IMO shrink can state that with a full medical rationale that could help your claim.

“Given Top Secret Clearance after passing background, health and mental check.”

This too should help you,proving the childhood stressors did not affect your ability to pass this extensive testing.

My daughter was Top Secret USAF and is now Top Secret DOD.

The FBI even checked me out for all of her clearances. They were quite thorough. That TS clearance cannot be overlooked by an IMO doctor,in order to support your claim.

The problem I think you might have is proving to the VA you were at the scene of this fire,in such close proximity that your face mask began to melt.

I was with a local fire dept for 8 years as auxillary......that was Really getting close to flames.....

you also mentioned a respirator......

My husband ,after leaving USMC , joined the Navy and went to Earl Fire College (in NJ? I think.or Florida)... He told me all sailors were firemen...I think you need,

regardless of your MOS, to make that point to the VA, as to why you had a respirator and face mask on and were at the scene of the fire and some strong buddy statements to prove this fire occurred and to prove what happened to you.

It amazes me how many Navy sites on the the web with reunion rosters and forums and “Lookin for sections.

You might even find this guy:

"Spoke to my Operations officer"

NOTHING is impossible with claims like yours, but it takes leg work and ,as jbasser said, the IMO will be critical.

“My mothers Death broke the denial I had suppressed from the event in the military.

And it certainly could have exacerbated the PTSD from the shipboard incident.That is a point the IMO shrink will have to make.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.