Question

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

An SSOC contains a decision, that I would think could be called a supplemental decision...but I never heard it put that way before.

M21-1MR states:

“A supplemental statement of the case (SSOC) presents the appellant with changes or additions to the SOC. These changes and additions are usually based on additional evidence received after the issuance of the SOC, before or after receipt of a substantive appeal, or after a remand.

Note: If an appellant has not yet filed a substantive appeal, he/she still needs to respond to an SSOC by filing a substantive appeal, usually on VA Form 9, in order to perfect the appeal.”

Source:M21-1MR, Part I, Chapter 5, Section D,under 21 (a)

from:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.benefits.va.gov%2Fwarms%2Fdocs%2Fadmin21%2Fm21_1%2Fmr%2Fpart1%2Fch05%2Fch05_secd.doc&ei=CPgdUpDMFe28sQT-64CIAw&usg=AFQjCNFx81J3iADCvQv_YlV3JUnmvMcXEQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.cWc

An SSOC ,in my opinion, can possible become another bite at the apple,if any contentions remain denied,with a strong response.

Many years ago it was an SSOC that revealed to me why that specific claim I had, had been denied.

The SSOC expanded the argument against the claim ,but it was when I suddenly realized that they were manipulating the actual results of a C & P exam and had completely ignored documents from the General Counsel's office and significant other medical evidence I had sent to them.

They awarded on my response to the SSOC, in which I referred to and attached the evidence they had ignored as well as with a copy of the actual C & P exam they had parsed and manipulated (skillfully I might add) in the SOC and SSOC.

I learned then ( 1996 I think that was) that the actual C & P results (which I didnt think I could get when I filed the claim) are worth a thousand words ( in my case they were worth lots more then a thousand.)

What got me too is the fact that this was a posthumous C & P, so the veteran could not speak for himself, and their SSOC was in my opinion actually slanderous,in one statement because of how well they manipulated the doctor's original exam results.

My Congressman looked into the slanderous statement right away. It really had nothing to do with my husband or my claim at all but Plenty to do with the local VAMC. He got on them right after I contacted his office.

Anxious to see if others here see a difference between a SSOC and a "supplemental decision."

Maybe that is ebenefits 'talk'?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Bertha, not the right topic but have a question to your answer. what if a veteran have several different diagnosis from the same C&P . One C&P exam, but when I got a copy of the C&P exam to different diagnosis report. One have several diagnosis(seven listed), one have about four diagnosis listed. The one with four got service connect, the one with seven only got four. so what do you think of that.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is required to decide SC on any conditions it finds during a C&P exam. The decision w/7 diagnoses on it should have had some kind of denial for 3 of those diagnoses.

The SSOC is supposed to be a thorough explanation of what evidence was used, how they decided and why. They may or may not decide some issue(s) in that SSOC, if there were multiple issues being appealed.

pr

Phillips,
all the issues that was on the C&P results with the seven issues are the issues that I filed a claim for but only four was considered service connected. They said that those issues was not in my service record, even though i filed the claim less than 30 days after active duty. They also, said they could not located all my serivce records and the it was futile to look for them.