Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

I'm helping a friend who has difficulty reading and writing due to TBI.

He is currently 100% schedular (but no SMC award).

He does get a special amount, I believe $100 per month for erectile dysfunction (could this be the SMCs award and just worded differently???)

The conditions are:

70% PTSD

50% skull fracture

40 Fibro

40% TBI residuals

30% migrains

30% surgical scars

5 diffierent 10% ratings for ankels, knees, shoulder ect..

When he got his letter there was no mention of SMC s or P&T (we have submitted a claim to have his 100% schedular upgraded to P&T) and are awaiting an answer.

From my general reading, I thought once a vet passes 160%, they were eligible for a SMC s award.

Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe your friend needs a 100% or TDIU rating, plus the 60%, for an "s" award, unless he is in fact housebound. His, $100, smc award is a "k" award for ED. The VA uses the combined ratings table (CRT) to total their percentages, not regular addition. jmo

pr

It is that screwy math the VA uses, by my calculation he is 120% There is a section here on the website that shows how to computate the total percentage. In essance after the 70% rating the 50% rating is applied to what was left after the 70% rating, which is an additional 15%, that is added to the 70 so he is at 85, the 40% is applied to the remaining 15%.....keep repeating.

jbasser, on 26 Aug 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:snapback.png

SMC S total plus 60.

A single disability rated as IU or 100 percent and an additional or additional combinations totaling 60.

The question in fact is the method the VA uses to calculate to get to the 60 percent.

Do they use the combined ratings schedule or add the numbers up since a veteran is already 100 percvent or at least paid at that rate.

Im betting on combined schedule.

J

JBasser is correct. A single disability rated IU or 100% plus an additional 60% disability or combination of disabilities equaling 60%. The VA always uses the combined rating table, even after your initial IU or 100% disabling condition, even for SMC S and higher evaluations.