Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Experience Or Advice With Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

vstillman

Question

I was medically retired from the AF in 2007 for permanent mental illness (on my DD214) and had a VA claim approved in 2008 about a year later for bipolar disorder, which they gave me 30% for. I had been hospitalized while still active duty for suicidal ideations. I have been in constant care since discharge and have been treated by four psychiatrists, countless therapists, and been on over a dozen different psychiatric drugs throughout the years. My current psychiatrist believes that I may not have only bipolar disorder, but instead have and had PTSD which was missed in my initial diagnosis. I have been in PTSD treatment for over six months now. I did deploy to a combat zone while active duty.

My question is if it would be wise to apply for a review of my rating. I currently have 30% for bipolar and a combined rating of 60% for that, migraines and tinnitus. The thought of going through the VA claims process again makes me sick. I am also afraid that if I apply for review, they will reduce what I do have and that would be devastating.

Any advice? Thank you.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I was medically retired from the AF in 2007 for permanent mental illness (on my DD214) and had a VA claim approved in 2008 about a year later for bipolar disorder, which they gave me 30% for. I had been hospitalized while still active duty for suicidal ideations. I have been in constant care since discharge and have been treated by four psychiatrists, countless therapists, and been on over a dozen different psychiatric drugs throughout the years. My current psychiatrist believes that I may not have only bipolar disorder, but instead have and had PTSD which was missed in my initial diagnosis. I have been in PTSD treatment for over six months now. I did deploy to a combat zone while active duty.

My question is if it would be wise to apply for a review of my rating. I currently have 30% for bipolar and a combined rating of 60% for that, migraines and tinnitus. The thought of going through the VA claims process again makes me sick. I am also afraid that if I apply for review, they will reduce what I do have and that would be devastating.

Any advice? Thank you.

VA only provides compensation one time for mental health issues.

Example:

Vet has depression, anxiety, bipolar, PTSD.

VA service connects all conditions like PTSD with bipolar, anxiety and depression 60 %.

The above is just a hypothetical.

They are supposed to provide the highest percentage per the medical evidence of record.

JMHO

You can always apply for an increase based on worsened mental health condition. Then it will be based on your medical records and C&P examiners opinion as to wether or not your mental condition has worsened AND to what extent, 50, 70, 100% or remains the same or has improved. It's your judgement call unless your psychiatrists has advised you that your condition has or is worsening.

I don't understand how you can be medically retired for "mental illness, permanent" at only 30% and not 100% permanent and total. I received 50% initially for PTSD and was recently awarded 100% Permanent and Total increase for PTSD alone. So you can be increased. But, again, you say you was medically retired from the Air Force in 2007 for "permanent mental illness" at only 30%. That is not VA's math for permanent disability. Maybe we could better understand if you post your discharge with your personal information blacked out of course.

Best wishes!

Edited by Motherof3

I agree with Motherof 3

who stated:

"I don't understand how you can be medically retired for "mental illness, permanent" at only 30% and not 100% permanent and total."

And hope you can give us the info she asked to see.

Do you have a copy of the NARSUM?

ooops forgot to ask.....did you have a PEBLO helping you MEB/PEB out?

That NARSUM (cover the personal identifying stuff if you can scan and attach it here) would tell us more info.........

Also you said:

"I was medically retired from the AF in 2007 for permanent mental illness (on my DD214) and had a VA claim approved in 2008 about a year later for bipolar disorder, which they gave me 30% for"

Was that claim filed within one year of your discharge, and if so, did they give you retro back to the date of your discharge?

I was MEB'd out of the Air Force in 2007. Yes, I had a PEBLO. The MEB rated me at 20% (which according to my PEBLO is the minimum percentage they can rate and still give a medical retirement vs just a discharge). My DD214 states under reason for discharge "mental illness, permanent" and it is honorable.

I then filed my VA claim within a week or two, and that claim was decided in about a year. The VA rated me 30% for bipolar disorder, 30% for migraines, and 10% for tinnitus, for a combined rating of 60%.

I also don't understand how I was rated 30% by the VA when my DD214 states right on it that I was discharged for permanent mental illness, but that's what I got.