Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Experience Or Advice With Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

vstillman

Question

I was medically retired from the AF in 2007 for permanent mental illness (on my DD214) and had a VA claim approved in 2008 about a year later for bipolar disorder, which they gave me 30% for. I had been hospitalized while still active duty for suicidal ideations. I have been in constant care since discharge and have been treated by four psychiatrists, countless therapists, and been on over a dozen different psychiatric drugs throughout the years. My current psychiatrist believes that I may not have only bipolar disorder, but instead have and had PTSD which was missed in my initial diagnosis. I have been in PTSD treatment for over six months now. I did deploy to a combat zone while active duty.

My question is if it would be wise to apply for a review of my rating. I currently have 30% for bipolar and a combined rating of 60% for that, migraines and tinnitus. The thought of going through the VA claims process again makes me sick. I am also afraid that if I apply for review, they will reduce what I do have and that would be devastating.

Any advice? Thank you.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The thumbnail came out fine...I haven't had time to look up the RE codes on it.....

That info should be here at hadit.

Most disabilities are,in fact, permanent so that does not really affect the rating.

You stated:

“but instead have and had PTSD which was missed in my initial diagnosis. I have been in PTSD treatment for over six months now. I did deploy to a combat zone while active duty.”

This is why I think Motherof3 and I questioned the rating.

As Carlie said, VA lumps all MH issues into one rating but it looks to me that PTSD should have been your prime diagnosis and rating, with bi polar as part of the rating.

This is a good explanation of the NARSUM:

http://www.militarydef.com/pages/lawyers-corner/know-about-physical-evaluation-board.php

I am surprised they didnt give you a copy when you left the Mil.(and your appellate rights)

That site is good and has more PEB/MEB info.

I am a civilian ….maybe they use another acronym for NARSUM in the AF.

The NARSUM can be appealed if it is wrong but I dont know the time limit for that type of appeal.

Do your symptoms match a higher MH rating, as within the VA SRD (Schedule of Ratings )here and do they affect your ability to work?

(to include the side affects of the SC meds you take?)

Do you have a vet rep?

Motherof3 is absolutely correct...you can apply for a higher rating, and if you feel these SCs prevent you from emloyment, apply for TDIU. (paid at the 100% Rate...we have a TDIU forum here as well)

If you are not working do you get SSDI and is it solely for the SC?

Did you ever apply for VA Voc Rehab and get turned down by Voc Rehab solely due to your SCs?

"I am also afraid that if I apply for review, they will reduce what I do have and that would be devastating."

We all have VAOLA Paranoia veteran......and VA knows it keeps many from NOT seeking the benefits they deserve.

I don't think you should worry at all ,as long as you keep maintaining treatment and meds,appointments etc etc........

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

You stated:

“but instead have and had PTSD which was missed in my initial diagnosis. I have been in PTSD treatment for over six months now. I did deploy to a combat zone while active duty.”

This is why I think Motherof3 and I questioned the rating.

As Carlie said, VA lumps all MH issues into one rating but it looks to me that PTSD should have been your prime diagnosis and rating, with bi polar as part of the rating.

Berta,

Perhaps that's their way to get out of the automatic discharged for PTSD with the

minimum 50 percent rating.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Carlie I think you are absolutely correct!!!!!

I didn't want to say this sooner but I do believe our vet here,vstillman, got screwed and tattooed and sure isn't the only one.....

And a MEB/PEB PEBLO or even a JAG has no choice but to accept the NARSUM diagnosis.The vet can appeal it however but I dont know the time frame for that.

At least they didnt say vstillman had a personality disorder. That BS, which started as the Vietnam War pealed down,. is absolute Bull crap for probably 99% if not 100% of any vet stained and tarnished by that type of incompetent diagnosis.

The new PTSD regs made it even easier for the Mil to discharge with the wrong diagnosis.for MH issues.

If a VA MH provider does Not diagnose PTSD (even if Sigmund Freud would)

under the new PTSD regs, the VA saves Mega bucks.......

I believe the Mil and the VA are in cahoots sometimes over more then we might even know.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.