Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Udorn Thailand Presumptive Approved .........yes

Rate this question

jcolwell

Question

This was the first group I wanted to share great new with. Several of you know of the struggle of the Thailand veteran to get recognized for herbicide exposure by VA.

Today my husband got 20 % approval for something, we are pretty sure it is DM2. He will get retro for one year. Claim filed 10/2012.This claim was being pushed to complete by Oct 1.

He got this because he was a perimeter guard in Udorn in 1970 for USAF. He job was jet engine mechanic but they pulled him for 30days to be a tower guard. He had nothing in his file to support this claim. However the VSPA had him listed on their website as a augmentee and we also lucked out and located a former colonel who signed his evaluation in 1970 and he provided written letter that he frequently sent guys to the perimeter to help out in 1970.

Here is the Icing: He is still in a 2 year appeal post DRO interview for IHD, GERD and Renal disease. They originally denied his IHD but with DM2 approved as presumptive we expect the others will follow suit.

You guys have allways been supportive in your comments and it made this easier. Will keep you posted.

Jc :ohmy::biggrin:

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

And Thailand AO vets should claim anything they can under the AO regs.

DMII can certainly cause IHD but then again, VA awarded me for AO IHD death and then AO DMII death separately.My husband had both of these presumptives so, an AO vet found with one AO presumptive granted ,should not even have to prove one is secondary to something else or need an IMO.

hope that made sense...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

And Thailand AO vets should claim anything they can under the AO regs.

DMII can certainly cause IHD but then again, VA awarded me for AO IHD death and then AO DMII death separately.My husband had both of these presumptives so, an AO vet found with one AO presumptive granted ,should not even have to prove one is secondary to something else or need an IMO.

hope that made sense...

Yes it does, my thoughts exactly. It is just a matter of waiting them out to pick it up. My poor husband is a mess, he keeps checking the e-benefits to make sure it was not an error. He is very deserving as he has IHD and ICD and about 9 things I will fu on after he gets the IHD completed. This will help with his depression more than anything else, As a RN he always asked me why he had so many things wrong with him and no one else did. You have been kind to many on this site and will keep everyone posted. JC and RN

Yes it does, my thoughts exactly. It is just a matter of waiting them out to pick it up. My poor husband is a mess, he keeps checking the e-benefits to make sure it was not an error. He is very deserving as he has IHD and ICD and about 9 things I will fu on after he gets the IHD completed. This will help with his depression more than anything else, As a RN he always asked me why he had so many things wrong with him and no one else did. You have been kind to many on this site and will keep everyone posted. JC and RN

You stated you have a two year old appeal. When was your husband diagnosed with IHD and when was your original claim filed for these AO related conditions? You could be eligible for an earlier effective date on those issues depending on when he was diagnosed as these conditions would fall under the NEHMER quidelines.

If Berta would chime in on this, as she is the NEHMER expert along with many other issues. :)

I would like to add, KOREA WAR veterans exposure to AO LIST is also ever expanding, based on perimeter guard duty, or military police MOS. Any orders or military records either medical and/or personnel, showing service in either in Thailand and Korea, and a Veterans MOS should be looked at very closely. The VA frequently adds more and more units to the list of exposure to herbicides in these two countries. This list is ever changing, the same as the ships list they add to the RVN list for AO exposure, for the blue water Veterans.

A Veteran's statement of perimeter duty, combined with a buddy statement or supporting MOS, CIB badge,Infantry MOS, etc. and/or confirmation by commandng NCO or COs is enough to get SC for AO conditions, even if the records don't specifically say you stood guard on the perimeter. The benefit of the doubt goes to the Veteran. One piece of supporting evidence may be enough to show exposure.- Harleyman