Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Udorn Thailand Presumptive Approved .........yes

Rate this question

jcolwell

Question

This was the first group I wanted to share great new with. Several of you know of the struggle of the Thailand veteran to get recognized for herbicide exposure by VA.

Today my husband got 20 % approval for something, we are pretty sure it is DM2. He will get retro for one year. Claim filed 10/2012.This claim was being pushed to complete by Oct 1.

He got this because he was a perimeter guard in Udorn in 1970 for USAF. He job was jet engine mechanic but they pulled him for 30days to be a tower guard. He had nothing in his file to support this claim. However the VSPA had him listed on their website as a augmentee and we also lucked out and located a former colonel who signed his evaluation in 1970 and he provided written letter that he frequently sent guys to the perimeter to help out in 1970.

Here is the Icing: He is still in a 2 year appeal post DRO interview for IHD, GERD and Renal disease. They originally denied his IHD but with DM2 approved as presumptive we expect the others will follow suit.

You guys have allways been supportive in your comments and it made this easier. Will keep you posted.

Jc :ohmy::biggrin:

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have wondered about this with my husband's claim. Once upon a time veteran's were pushing for presumptive connection for Guam. My husband was in Guam 1975 - 1977. He was in Kunsan Korea 1982 - 1983. If either of these places / times would ever be considered presumptive - would my husband have to had claimed AO caused his cancer to be covered by the presumptions? I don't think so - but I was checking.

I thought I read somewhere back in a April 2011 when I started this effort , that since 2010 C and P was first released in I think Aug 2010 that anyone who filed within the first year of release of 2010 c and p would have effective date 8/1010 for compensation. I believe there has been 3 Thailand C and P thus far. Will make a difference for me 8/2010 versus 4/2011. Thanks experts . JC

JC,

I assume that you mean the new regs for IHD, Parkinson and B cell. I filed my claim for IHD in Nov of 2009 right after they annouced the new presumptives and when they service connected the IHD they gave me an effective date of 1 Sep 2010.

Generally the effective date is the date you file the claim, if you filed the claim on the 4th of April in 2011 the that is you effective date and you would receive your first check on the 1st of May 2011.

Rick

Here is where I got my info back in 2011. I had my IHD with ICD since 2005 Thoughts .

Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

Over $2.2 Billion in Retroactive Agent Orange Benefits Paid to 89,000 Vietnam Veterans and Survivors for Presumptive Conditions

August 31, 2011

Printable Version
Need Viewer Software?

Over $2.2 Billion in Retroactive Agent Orange Benefits Paid to 89,000 Vietnam Veterans and Survivors for Presumptive Conditions

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki announced today that more than $2.2 billion in retroactive benefits has already been paid to approximately 89,000 Vietnam Veterans and their survivors who filed claims related to one of three new Agent Orange presumptive conditions.

On August 31, 2010, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) amended its regulations to add ischemic heart disease, hairy cell leukemia and other chronic B-cell leukemias, and Parkinson's disease to the list of diseases presumed to be related to exposure to Agent Orange.

“As the President said to the American Legion yesterday, VA is committed to ensuring Veterans and their families receive the care and benefits they have earned,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki. “I encourage all potentially eligible Veterans to apply as soon as possible to preserve the most favorable effective date for payments.”

For new claims, VA may authorize up to one year of retroactive benefits if a Veteran can show that he or she has experienced one of those conditions since the date of the regulatory change.

VA has reviewed, and continues to review, thousands of previously filed claims that may qualify for retroactive benefits under a long-standing court order of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in Nehmer vs. U.S. Veterans Administration.

“VA encourages survivors of Veterans whose death may be due to one of the three diseases to file a claim for dependency and indemnity compensation,” added Under Secretary for Benefits Allison A. Hickey.

Secretary Shinseki’s decision to add these conditions to the list of Agent Orange presumptive conditions was based on a study by the Institute of Medicine, which indicated a positive association between exposure to certain herbicides and the subsequent development of one or more of the three conditions.

Thanks