Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Next Steps Before Filing Compensation Increase

Rate this question

gsxrmike

Question

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Sorry if I'm posting something that's been covered before, I did search in advance and read as much as I could find on these topics. If I missed something, I apologize.

BACKGROUND:

I was Med Discharged from the USN in 2006 for Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) at 10%. VA assigned me 10% for DDD, 10% for Sciatica, 0% SC for C-Spine injury.

In 2009 was diagnosed by VA for Sleep Apnea and prescribed CPAP.

Last year I filed for increased compensation due to DDD getting worse, which was increased to 20%. Sciatica and C-Spine stayed the same. Now 30% total.

Been having more pain lately, increased sciatica pain down both legs now, as well as radiculopathy in both arms with C-Spine pain. Went to VA for MRI. Dr. said I should join MOVE program due to Weight gain (I'm 6'7'' at 325 lbs). Dr. ordered MRI.

MRI completed last week. Results show lots of bulging/herniation in C1-C7 as well as bone spurs with nerve impingement. Also showed enlarged spleen (finding out what that is caused by as we speak)

QUESTIONS:

1) I'm depressed by the weight gain and limitations that stem from the problems with my back and neck. It's caused me to feel self conscious about taking my shirt off, having sex with my wife, being confident, etc. How do I go about seeing a VA Dr. for this and being prescribed treatment and diagnosed with depressive disorder due to my service connected back issues? Is this something that I can associate to my existing problems and have it become service connected as well?

2) Since my C-Spine injury is service connected, will it be rather easy for me to increase that percentage? I'm assuming C-Spine disabilities are rated just like the lumbar spine disabilities that I've been seen for (Range of Motion).

3) Is it possible/likely for me to associate the Sleep Apnea to my back disability? I can only sleep on my back, and the pain meds along with the weight gain have caused me to have the apnea. Just curious if I even have a case to make a Nexus letter.

4) Should I wait until I get all of these things lined up before filing, or should I file for the C-Spine now and file the rest of these later?

Thanks for your help!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There are no disks between c1 and c2.

Your issues will effect your ROM

The nerves involved should also be checked by EMG and NCS testing.

If you warrant a higher rating, The MAX for IVDS is 60 percent and that rating is inclusive of periods of incapacity or bed rest prescribed by a physician.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

You sound like you are depressed and anxious about your SC conditions. See a VA psychiatrist! You sound like you have chronic pain disorder as well.

There are no disks between c1 and c2.

Your issues will effect your ROM

The nerves involved should also be checked by EMG and NCS testing.

If you warrant a higher rating, The MAX for IVDS is 60 percent and that rating is inclusive of periods of incapacity or bed rest prescribed by a physician.

J

You're right, I made a mistake writing c1-c7, meant c2-c7. Concur with having EMG testing as I did on my back previously. I'm assuming they'll do this during the C&P again, correct?

So IVDS doesn't matter for C or L spine?

Are there different ratings for Sciatica which is associated with L spine problems and Arm Radiculopathy which is associated with C spine problems?

I haven't been prescribed periods of bedrest. I've went in a couple times when I've had periods of acute pain, but they just end up prescribing me with the standard anti inflammatory, muscle relaxer, and pain killer.

My Dr. has suggested that I join the MOVE Program because of Obesity. It's listed as Obesity in my record, not sure if that's something I can link to my SC disabilities.

Thanks for your help!

You sound like you are depressed and anxious about your SC conditions. See a VA psychiatrist! You sound like you have chronic pain disorder as well.

Yep, I'm depressed and anxious about my problems. I called my Dr. for a referral to Mental Health, which was approved this morning. Scheduled my appt with the Mental Health dept., which they said is an orientation appt that takes 90 minutes. They said it'll take 47 days until I can be seen. Sucks that it'll take them that long to get me in...

Should I wait until I have a few appointments in before I file for chronic pain syndrome / mental disability disorder? Whats the main difference between the two anyways?

Thanks for your help!