Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Be Concerned?

Rate this question

awatsr

Question

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on in a while and have a question. I filed a fibromyalgia claim as a secondary to my PTSD. I checked Ebenefits today and noticed that it's in the notification. I thought that was a little odd since I hadn't been called in for a C&P exam. I have documentation from my rheumatologist outside of the VA. My concern is that for the longest I had been going to doctors for different aches, pains, etc for years not even knowing a thing about Fibro. Last year it was what my doctor suspected and sent me to a rheumatologist. Would it have any negative bearing that my diagnosis came years after my military career? Any comment is appreciated. Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I do not see any way, medically speaking, to SC fibromyalgia as secondary to PTSD.

Did a doctor state that you have fibromyalgia and it is at least as likely as not,due to your PTSD,

or something to that effect ?

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

That's interesting. I did a quick research and it looks like they have found a connection between the two conditions. They are actually doing some research on it at Ft. Hood. http://delta.uthscsa.edu/strongstar/subs/rpinfo.asp?prj=11

I don't think there would be a problem with how long it took for a secondary condition to be diagnosed. But your doctor would need to write a clear IMO connecting the two - and perhaps cite some studies.

Think Outside the Box!

Went I went to my primary care doctor at a local naval hospital he did several tests and labwork. Put me on some new medication and seemed frustrated that it wasn't giving me any results. He told me all of the labwork indicated that I did not have Fibro. Well knowing what I do know there is no labwork that indicates whether you do or do not have fibro. So I went to my doctor outside of the VA and he said the same. No labwork can indicate that you do or do not have fibro. So he looked at the labwork and said they did everything to rule out things such as lupus, MS, and other things. The only logical answer was fibro. He sent me to a rheumatologist and after an exam he indicated that I indeed had fibromyalgia. I can tell you that on most days I feel like I've been ran over by a truck the day before.

Both the rheumatologist and medical doctor outside of the VA are aware of my PTSD and migraines as part of my service connection disability. I guess I will find out the results of the claim soon enough. Just nervous that it will be denied. It would be a slap in the face at this point if it is denied. Not sure if I will appeal or just forget it. Just tired.

Did your doctor write a statement that said the fibromyalgia is secondary to your PTSD? He would need to provide you with a nexus statement.

Think Outside the Box!

Both the rheumatologist and medical doctor outside of the VA are aware of my PTSD and migraines as part of my service connection disability.

Please update your profile to show current percentage evaluation of SC.

Thanks

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.