Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tingling Hand...

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I need some help here. My right hands will start to tingle and go numb, turns pale white, get really cold and I can feel stuff in my neck. Its happened about 3 times now within the past week. Am I pinching a blood vessel in my neck? It last for a few minutes and I get a little dizzy. If I get a pack of ice and put it on my neck then everything goes back to normal.

Its starting to scare me...

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Talked with Pain Management on the phone. By the symptoms they do want me too see my PCP and tell him about this. But, the person on the phone did say that a pinch nerve can cause the hand to go pale. I am thinking a pinched nerve can cause blood vessels to constrict. I don't but I am going to tell my PCP next week.

Well I finally sent a message to my PCP today. He said its more likely NOT circulatory issues because of vascular problems. He said I was clear on my last test of any heart or circulatory issues. He said he thinks its TOS and he is setting up an appointment to have the test done. Whenever I sent him the message I just have him my symptoms and didn't tell him what I thought it was even thought I thought it was TOS.

If its TOS, nonvascular type, then its caused by a traumatic injury. Well as most of you know I have cervical DDD and DJD all related to stupid injury in the Army. If its TOS how would I file a claim on this, primary or secondary?

RP,

I have the same issues as you. I have a torn shoulder, degenerative back disease, and 5 bad vertebrae. My hand started tingling about 6 months ago, and I sleep on my stomach too with my arms just like you. I have MRIs scheduled for next month on all three and DRs say I have pinched nerves and have put pressure on my neck due to other physical issues. About a month ago I woke up one morning, and now it is hard to turn to the left. If the tingling is for short periods of time then I think you have the same issues as me. If it is for a long period of time, then as the others stated on this forum, you need to seek medical assistance immediately. Good luck to you and wish you the best.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Its a catch 22 thing, no matter how I sleep I wake up numb so I have to turn, even if I sleep on my side.

There are youtube videos that show you how you can tell if its TOS. Everyone of them so far is positive for me for TOS. The only one I haven't done yet was to see if my shouldn't blades are winged. I know its not any circulation issue and my PCP even told me it wasn't because I just had a work up done about two years ago. So, I know my arteries are clear and my heart is good. I actually had a CT on my heart where they do a 3d imaging of it. Pretty neat the VA can do this. Anyway I am positive its TOS and this might be what I need so I can get out of pain if they can go in and break the cervical rib to give me relief. Man this stuff is worse than shingles because its long term!!!

Yea I do have the same issues as you. My spine is of a 60+ year old person I was told by the Docs...Even Dr. Bash mentioned this to me. Its not fun being 45 and having a 60 year old spine. Not criticizing the older generation here, I feel bad for you all.

The VA didn't clear me two days ago to enter their in-patient pain management program but the Doc did give me some ideas I can do at home to start the process. Sitting around in pain will cause more pain. Its just the way the mind does this. I use to be such an active person then boom went downhill that fast. In just 3 years I went from being in pretty good health, even thought I was weighing 240 I was in good health to jumping up to 270lbs and now back down to 240ish. But this time around I am in not in good health. So, I have to work my way back up and getting on the treadmill at least 4 minutes per day and working my way up each week.

I am going to do it but I think its too late for me to get any relief. Once you have nerve damage you have it for life. The Doc even told me there is no cure for it, its just the way the body is. It was good for her to tell me this so I have come to terms with it.

Edited by rpowell01

I had a DR tell me last year that I have the body of a 30 year old, I am tall and athletic, and the insides of a 65 year old, WTH. I never drank, smoked, or done drugs in my life, probably die young like the rest of my family, yet drug heads will live to be a 100.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

navy04 here is what I learned from research and in college. The spine is the move vital part of the spine. Any issues with the spine or the nerves exiting the spine will cause you to 1. feel old, 2. begin to look old, and 3. cause issues just like the older generation. This is why you are told this and why you probably feel like this.