Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeing Psychiatrist Monday For Diagnosis, Any Advice

Rate this question

PayBack

Question

Good Evening,

I'm headed to the doctors office Monday morning seeking an "Independent Medical Opinion". My original diagnosis' came from my family practioner. I know the VA will balk at that so I'm looking to back that up with that of a Board Certified Psychiatrist. Is there a special format that he must follow? I'm being seen for PTSD, depression and anxiety. I've tried to locate protocal, can anyone point me to it....

Thanks!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think Patrick is right in the fact that no two doctors are alike and they will not test you and document your sessions in the same manner. My husband and I have been through sessions with both VA psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors and non-VA psychiatrists, psychologists and counselors as well. I was quite surprised at the differences from one doctor to another in testing and treating you. I would not have thought there would have been that much difference between them, but there was. There was one psychiatrist that even wanted copies of any lab work done by the PCP sent to him. Not quite sure why.

So it is hard to try and tell someone what to actually expect in a PTSD examination. Even though the doctors are supposed to be looking for the same symptoms in the exam, they still have their own way of assessing you during the exam.

Just be honest and tell them exactly what your problems are. As Patrick said, some doctors are alert to picking up when you are not quite honest with your answers. If you are afraid that you will forget things, write down all the things that happen to you and give this to the doctor. This way you can be assured that you didn't miss anything that you wanted to relay to him/her.

Bring your spouse, if your are married, with you. I have been able to go into every C & P exam that my husband has ever had and I was able to speak with the doctor as well during the exam. My husband does not always see what is wrong with him and does not always relate his problems to the doctor, so I do it for him. He is also very forgetful. The doctors did not seem at all concerned that I was in there with him.

Some independent psychiatrist may want to talk to you first before they allow anyone else in the room. That is okay though. They just want some time with the patient first. The spouse can then tell them anything that they feel they should be told.

This is just my opinion and hope it helps you some.

mssoup1

If this is for a PTSD claim remember that , without proof of stressor, an IMO aint worth much-

If you have infantry MOS and combat awards that is one thing-

if you are basing your claim on another type of inservice stressor- that is different.

A doctor can state a potential nexus factor- but unless they served in your unit at time of stressor- they are not a witness to the stressor.

I am not saying this vet here is in this predicament- it is just that I have two vets who both have a PTSD diagnosis.

But they do not have proof of their stressors.

I have accessed their units, the morning reports, old Vietnam Magazines, etc etc-

in each case I have come up with nothing to help them.

One states a buddy died and he witnessed buddy's death in Nam but the buddy is not on the Wall.

The other states he witnessed death of close friend inservice but cant remember the close friend's name.

A good IMO from a shrink can diagnose PTSD.But It does not prove a stressor.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing is that in my experience you have maybe 15-20 minutes to talk to the C&P psychiatrist. The first thing they notice is your appearance. The next thing might be what medications you are now taking. I had a C&P doctor say I could not be bi-polar since I was not on lithium. He changed my diagnoses to schizophrenia based on that detail. He also stated he could not tell if I was unemployable since I was not working at the time, and one said I was probably a fraud since I had a college degree in psychology. This is why your medical evidence is most important. If you have records from the VA and good records from a private shrink this is a good way to win your claim. I have had C&P exams that lasted less than 15 mintues. All they wanted to know was did I serve in Vietnam (very suspicious about that fact and even checked my DD214) and what my medications were and hospital records. The guy who did my C&P was a resident and wanted his opinion to line up with the other psychiatrists. Trying to fake it is out of the question. Just dress normally but remember you are not going for a job interview.

If you were a Marine or Navy, you'd better have at least a Combat Action Ribbon and Army at least the Combat Infantrymans Badge (CIB). Those are conceded stressors and you don't have to go in to detail as far as verifying the stressor. That is for combat related PTSD anyway. I did not have to even talk about Vietnam at all during my PTSD C&P Exam and Axis I stated "PTSD, chronic, conceded" in addition to depression NOS, and cognitive disorder NOS. I never talked about Vietnam and the examiner never asked.

Good Afternoon,

Deeply appreciate all the advice. I'm fully aware that this will be an uphill battle with the VA. My situation is not combat related. However, the devastation of said events impact me every day in my life. People who know my story are amazed that I didn't either hurt someone or blow my brains out in desparation. All I can say is prayer is a wonderful thing and GOD has sustained me throughout. It's a was a daily struggle within not to have done either of those things. I haven't lost my sanity, I just constantly struggle with the ramificaitions of those events. I've always told the truth so I'll continue to do so. Hope is all I have, if I lose it, I'm dead... Tomorrow will come and I can only hope that the gentlemen actually listens...

Thanks Again for Your Support!

Have you tried to find your unit on line- in the event you might need a buddy statement?

The VA provides a Buddy service too-

With an unsealed stamped letter from you to the buddy,with your forwarding address on the envelope-any VARO can attempt to locate the buddy if they have any VA files-

They seal and send your letter and it is then up to the buddy to contact you.

It works I know vets who found buddies this way .

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.