Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treasury Greenbook

Rate this question

infantry10

Question

Wow!! Thats ridiculous! It should never take that long and it's a shame you had to wait for what was owed to you. Smh!

My wife's grand father passed away in Nov 2009. His wife has been receiving VA payment ever since in Full payment of what he was getting before he passed. She has contacted them several times telling them of their mistake but they've never fixed it. She's been in contact with the local VFW also and he keeps telling her to "just spend it". Her husband was a smart Marine and taught her well how the VA works. She puts the overpayment in a separate savings account every month cause she knows eventually VA is going to want it back. The VFW tells her that she should just spend it and if and when the VA wants it back, they'll take care of it. I'm glad she is smart enough to know to never listen to VSOs over common sense.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey It is fine with me! That's what the site is about - asking and answering questions that help Vets (and their dependents and survivors). Sometimes it is hard to keep the threads "tidy" because discussions end up going where they go.

Sometimes you don't know whether to start a new thread or not. It is a difficult call at times.

I am going to call her tomorrow morning and pass all this information on to her. I know she will be very grateful! I also apologize if I caused this forum to switch topics. It wasnt my intention. I guess I got caught up in someone actually asking me questions about what happened in my situation. Its a rather odd one and I haven't had many people ask questions or give any answers. Thanks again for everything!! It's much appreciated!

Think Outside the Box!

Thanks for posting. I'm going to go ahead and forward her the link to this. That way she can go through and read it herself. Every time I speak with her on the issue she gets very nervous. Luckily, she has her own retirement she lives on every month to pay the bills and hasn't had to spend any of the over payment they are sending her. She was a federal clerk for 25 years. She knows a lot about federal laws but is clueless when it comes to VA.

free & infantry,

Regarding the topic's thread going in different directions -

it matters not to me.

The problem is it has now trampled over the OP's topic

by changing what issue, their topic pertains to.

free,

Regarding bank accounts with DD from vA or SSA -

my post was not in reference to a re-coupment of funds

after the death.

Sorry, I did not clarify that.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

infantry10,

I hope this helps. It is a lot of information - but it explains a lot of things.

Also - if your mother-in-law is not comfortable with the info you posted, I made sure not to directly quote you - so you can go back and edit any posts she wasn't comfortable with.

Think Outside the Box!