Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retired Bdd Program Question On Temporary 100%

Rate this question

Proudvet

Question

My apologies for chiming in on your thread. I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I retired from the U S Navy in June 2010. I went through the BDD program to start my V A Disability claim process. One of my complaints was headaches that was recorded through out my SMR for 20 of the 23 year years I was in. I was electrocuted in 1988 on a living barge while my ship was in overhaul. I obsorbed 440 volts of electricity and was seriously burned with second and third degree burns on my arms, chest and face. The V A Doc who examined on my Benefits Disability at Discharge told me, the VA doesn't award for headaches. Well, I went and settled down to my home of records and went and seen the docs at my local VA Medical Center and they conducted tests and reveiled I had Communicating Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. I had surgery February 2013 to have a shunt inserted to relieve the fluid build-up in my skull. I explained the above at my C & P exam in September 2013 and was awarded 100% Temporary disability but haven't received any payment yet.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to receive temporary 100% diability award payment from the VA?

normal pressure hydrocephalus (New), Temporary 100 percent (New), multiple digestive disorders to include gastroesophageal reflux disease and Barrett's esophagus (Increase), post traumatic stress disorder (New), depression caused by PTSD (New)

Thank-you.

U S Navy Chief (Ret)

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Proudvet,

I am sorry - I don't know that. But I hope you don't have to wait long.

GRRR at the VA doctor that told you they don't pay for headaches. Headaches can be a symptom of something they do pay for.

proudvet,

depends on your VARO. I have seen vets wait up to 18 months to receive this award.

I went through non-communicating low pressure hydrocephalus which caused me to have migraines which I have been service connected for. I was fortunate as my neurosurgeon was able to reconstruct a "window" between my third and fourth ventricle. he had told me before the surgery, if he couldn't make the window work that I would receive a shunt. I had told him that I didn't want a shunt.

I was a 1SG that was selected for the Sergeants Major Academy with 18 years in the Army. The Doc told me that if he had to place a shunt, it would be an automatic medical retirement. I didn't want to get out, but I didn't receive a shunt, but was still medically retired.

good luck to you!

Edited by meghp0405

The VA WILL service connect migraines. A claim for 'headaches' might be too vague for a proper rating.

The Migrane rating schedule is in the fairly recent VA decision:

“After considering the evidence of record, the Board finds that the criteria for a 50 percent evaluation under 38 C.F.R. § 4.124a, Diagnostic Code 8100, are approximated. The evidence throughout the appeal period shows that the Veteran has consistently reported having, on average, weekly migraine headaches. Because these migraines occur frequently, last for long periods of time (several hours to days), are accompanied by pain, nausea, and light sensitivity, require her to lie down for extended periods of time, require her to rely on friends to help care for her children on a weekly basis, and require her to miss work frequently severe economic hardship has resulted. In other words, the Board finds that the migraines are productive of severe economic inadaptability. Comparing these manifestations to the rating criteria, it is clear that the criteria for a 30 percent rating is exceeded, because that rating requires characteristic prostrating attacks that occur only once a month. Throughout the appeal period, the Veteran's migraines have occurred much more frequently than once per month. Moreover, even if all elements specified in the 50 percent rating criteria are not shown, they need not be. 38 C.F.R. § 4.21. The Board must resolve any remaining doubt in favor of the Veteran and find that the 50 percent criteria are more nearly approximated throughout the period of time covered by this claim. This represents the maximum disability rating assignable under Diagnostic Code 8100.”

In this case the veteran was still employed so the VA did not consider either TDIU or an extraschedular rating.
You stated as 'new;' Issues ( do you mean they have been deferred or you filed for them after your original claim?)
“post traumatic stress disorder (New), depression caused by PTSD (New) “
PTSD can be diagnosed as causing depression but VA only pays for one MH issue.
The new 2010 PTSD regs are here in our PTSD forum.
By retired do you mean you are a 'lifer'?
If so have you checked into CRDP and./or CRSC info here?

Have you checked your direct deposit account? The retro could show up anytime now.

Welcome here!

Forgot 2 questions, has any doctor indiocated that the headaches are in fact migraines?

Has any doctor stated in your med recs the migraines are directly due to your Communicating Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus.?

Can you tell us the diagnostic code VA used for the hydroencephlus? I am wondering if headaches or migraines are part of the overall 100 % rating for that and included in the rating for it.

Also:

"I was electrocuted in 1988 on a living barge while my ship was in overhaul. I obsorbed 440 volts of electricity and was seriously burned with second and third degree burns on my arms, chest and face."

Do you still have residual scarring from that? If so, check the scar [percentages in the VA SRD here at hadit .

(SRD SChedule of Ratings for Disabilities)

I would assume that electrocution was a major inservice stressor for you, however the PTSD regulations here will explain that more.

Edited by Berta

Proudvet,

Sorry to hear that they gave you the runaround. I had staff infection cut out of my head last year and every since been suffering from Headaches. I am 30% SC from the Navy for the Migraines and I take medication. I was Medically retired in February this year, after 9 years active duty. It took me 3 months to get paid. So you should get it soon. Good luck and wish you the best.