Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Z Grams

Rate this question

d1ray

Question

I am a Vietnam Veteran and served in the Navy from 1970 - 1973. In 1970 the CNO was Admiral Elmo Zumwalt. He initiated many sweeping changes in the Navy by issueing 121 directives known as "Z Grams". In 1974, upon leaving office, many had become policy and so he cancel the Z Grams. Now they virtually impossible to find in their entirity.

I am especially interested in Z Grams 94, 105 and 119 because of the importance the could have in getting a discharge upgraded. Where can they be found and why were they not followed by commands in Vietnam?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

d1ray,

There is a thread at this forum http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7010097960001/m/9440045361001/p/2 where someone says they have the book with all the Z grams and he would be glad to share them. He gives an email address to contact him. It is a 2008 post -- but might be a lead.

You might also be able to get them under the Freedom of Information Act. I am not sure where you would request them though. I know we got some older documents from the Air Force that way. Sorry I am not more help.

I am not sure if this will help -- but it is a GOA document from 1972 talking about the drug exemption programs from all branches of the service. http://www.gao.gov/assets/210/200011.pdf

You might also be able to get them under the Freedom of Information Act. I am not sure where you would request them though. I know we got some older documents from the Air Force that way. Sorry I am not more help.

d1ray,

There is a thread at this forum http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7010097960001/m/9440045361001/p/2 where someone says they have the book with all the Z grams and he would be glad to share them. He gives an email address to contact him. It is a 2008 post -- but might be a lead.

I am unable to open the above thread due to an error of some kind.

That is odd. I am still able to find the thread with a google search, but it is coming up with an error. I found the contact information on a cached version - and sent you a private message with it. The thread was from 2008, so I am not sure if the contact information was still valid. I hope it helps. I also saw the book listed on Amazon, but they don't have any copies for sale at the moment.

• In Memoriam

I remember the z grams. I had the one about neatly trimmed moustachs. (d1ray, is right the first post doesn't work)

Great post free_spirit. I haven't seen this before. Here is an excerpt from the second link.

post-167-0-01290800-1383034456_thumb.gif

Edited by Stretch