Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Would This Be Pyramiding, Or Is It Ok

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I was first service connected for hep c at 40 percent a while back. I was treated for the hepc with pegintron and ribavarin. I later developed kidney and adrenal gland cancer, that were removed, one side. I was service connected for the kidney cancer at 30 percent, because there is overwhelming medical study, that proves people with hep c are VERY likely to develop kidney cancer;

HERE is my question, I have found out that the pegintron and ribavarin are know to destroy part of your cells,(ISLET CELL DESTRUCTION) the destroying of these cells can cause type 2 diabetes. I have been told im right on the diabetic fence, if I do go full blown diabetic, can I be service connected for it as secondary to hepc, just like the kidney cancer was? Or how does this work.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That wouldn't be pyramiding. That would be a secondary condition. It would be a different ratable condition that was caused by your service connected condition (or its treatment).

You might need an IMO on that one though.

If your doctor agrees with you on that now - it might not even hurt to have him document in the record that you are borderline diabetic and at increased risk because of the meds.

That might come in useful down the road.

Edited by free_spirit_etc
Think Outside the Box!

I am not currently working. I cannot file for TDUI because I dont have 70 percent yet, and I have one rating of 40 percent and one rating of 30 percent. with va math a total of 60. % I have filed for SS and am waiting on a court date as I have a lawyer who believes we can win.

If I can get my spondylolysis thesis and degen disk disease claim service connected as it should be, then I should be well above the 70 percent, and will file TDUI. Hopefully by then my social security hearing date will near as well. Its nearly inpossible to be SS without a lawyer. I have alot of other stuff going on as well, Im depressed because of my back condition, and can no longer work, and do what I loved to do, work, metal detect , fish, hunt, camp, ect. I just dont want to deal with the pain that comes with repetative bending of my back, or walking or whatever causes 2 days of soreness and moderate pain after any physical activity. Once I get ser connected for my back, I will likely go see someone abt the depression, its just hard, because the VA makes u feel like they are too retarded to deal woth the complexity of a human beings issues, like it has to be one at a time, and they can digest it.

63 -

I know I asked on another thread -- but I don't know if you saw it - Have you applied for SSI for you child with autism?

Heres the deal with my child with autism. He was 11 pounds 3 ouces at birth. He was born in an army hospital as my wife was active duty when she became pregnant and it was 3 days after her end of service that the baby came. They knew it was a very large baby, They did not do a c-section and pulled my sons head with the forecepts until he was black and blue around both eyes, with one side like a burn, from the pressure. It also tore my wifes vaginal open. It was alot of incompetence and they were trying to save money.

We have since ghired an attorney and he is checking into filing a claim for my son. This happened 17 years ago, but as weve gotten older, weve gotten wiser, and just feel like its likely that the traumatic, violet birth, may have caused my sons disorder. I have pictures from the day after he was born, and 2 main veins in his forehead were still bulged out, like it was starving for oxygen after being sqeezed so hard, for so long by the forecept. After the birth, I think the personell knew they screwed up nobody wanted to come around. Then the diagnosed him with failure to thrive, and transfered my wife and son to a different hospital. I dont know how it will work being my wife was no longer on active duty, but the incident happened in a army hospital .

Edited by 63SIERRA