Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get Rated For Hypertension When I Was Dx With It In Service, Been Taking Meds For Years From Va

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

Disability

Decision Related To % Effective Date Status Actions

hypertension

Not Service-Connected Reopen Requested

bilateral shin splints Not Service-Connected

major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder with panic disorder with agoraphobia previously diagnosed as adjustment disorder with associated sleep disorder claimed as insomnia 70% Service-Connected

cervical spine condition Not Service-Connected

sinusitis Not Service-Connected

lumbar spine degenerative disc disease 20% Service-Connected

right hip strain Not Service-Connected

scar; pilonidal cystectomy 0% Service-Connected

scar; left lower leg 0% Service-Connected

epidymoid cyst right cheek Not Service-Connected Reopen Requested

pes planus bilateral feet Not Service-Connected Reopen Requested

meralgial paresthetica left mid thigh to knee Not Service-Connected

Reopen Requested

I have had my meds changed because it has gotten worse. I was diagnosed during active military service and I am continuing to be treated at the VA now. I also went into service with perfect feet and during my later years of service was told I have flat feet and needed inserts as well as physical therapy for my shins. I have numbness around my left knee and outside left thigh and they won't acknowledge it. I was seen during service and have been seen since getting out. I sent the paperwork from the private Dr said it was part of my back issue or sciatica.

I am getting errors on the Ebenefits site when I try to update my address so it kicked me out. I have already changed my address at the local VA.

Anyone have any suggestions or insight for me? I appreciate any and all help I get.

Edited by vet201060

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

If you were diagnosed with the hypertension while on active duty get a copy of your service medical records. When I got out in 75 my doc had me hand carry them to the VA, my brother in law who was 100% made sure we photocopied them and kept a copy.

As for changing your address in e-bennies try the help desk if you continue to have problems maybe they can fix it for you.

Good luck

If you were diagnosed with the hypertension while on active duty get a copy of your service medical records. When I got out in 75 my doc had me hand carry them to the VA, my brother in law who was 100% made sure we photocopied them and kept a copy.

As for changing your address in e-bennies try the help desk if you continue to have problems maybe they can fix it for you.

Good luck

i had someone copy my entire navy medical record. and then had the legal officer authenticate it before my medical discharge.

I am struggling with going to work everyday. I have a great paying government job that I don't know if I can keep with my anxiety issues. I have over 10 years federal civil service and was looking into federal disability retirement. I would rather be healthy and working than doing nothing. I am still receiving and seeking treatment and take whatever drugs they want me to try.

I also know I am only 80% VA and could possibly qualify for tdiu 100% rating. I am working on reopening some of my denied claims that I didn't not follow up on once they were denied. I know my service medical records mention them too. I have copies of them and sent them in the last time I reopened the hypertension and others. They just tell me its not service connected without even an exam. The initial hypertension claim they took my bp multiple days and I attended everyone of them. My claim stated that I didn't not attend all the appointments I was required to. At this point I will be happy with a 0% service connected rating. That initial claim was from 2007 btw.

Can we claim side effects of the meds that we are taking?

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Attending appointments is just an excuse by the VA.

The only thing they needed was a confirmation of the severity of the disability not weather you had it or not. As long as you were diagnosed in service and you are still being treated for it then they cannot deny it. They will try to but they really cannot. It is based on legal precedent.

They will eventually service connect it but they are going to play a little game with you.

You can file a cue claim on the original 2007 claim based on the fact that the Regional Office did not follow the rules applied in the title 38 CFR part 4.

Diagnosed in service and chronicity after service is an award. Diagnosed in the first post service year and Compensable at 10 percent or more should be an award.

DO you have your Military disgnosis?

DO you have your private or VA readings for Post service BP readings?

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

the va has different rules for hypertension than DOD. VA under 38 CFR, chapter 4.104 rates hypertension under diagnostic code 7101. hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least 3 different days. The diastolic number (bottom number of your reading) has to be 100 or above to be service connected. If your readings are in the 80's or 90's, physicians will place the vet on medicine to control the pressure.

I would suggest going back and reviewing your med records and looking to see what your readings are or was when you were on active duty. If they were 100 or above then you would have a case.

good luck..