Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Needing Some Advice

Rate this question

infantry10

Question

My claim was rated on Oct 31 and it's been in pending decision approval ever since. I'm grateful that its got this far and its got the attention it has. But, if it doesn't start moving a little faster I'm afraid I'm going to lose my house. My question is...would it benefit me to contact a senator at this stage or would it hurt me. I am willing to do anything at this point if it would help move things along faster but I'm not sure if that would be the best option or not. If anyone has any advice, I would grately appreciate it!! I'm desperate and any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!!

infantry- So glad to hear your finally getting your check. This is MAJOR BS and needs to be stopped. Anyone know how to relay our experiences to the people giving "accredation" or approval for a service organization to be on the list of groups that are approved to assist vets with claims with POA's??? These groups need to be heald accountable...Their VSO's are costing us time and money because of their incompatence! I'm soooo pissed off and want to do something about it.

I would just ask that you be careful when characterizing VSO's. There are some bad ones out there, I will be the first in line with that banner on any given day. However, there are some of us that really are tuned in to what we do. I have devoted the last 8 years of my life volunteering to assist those veterans that need assistance. I've had some set backs with a few claims, I don't know anybody out there that's perfect and hasn't made a mistake. I've learned from those and continue to do the best that I can. I have been successful, which I believe it's to sites like this that has information to provide. I wont mention the 38 CFR that I have on my nightstand that I read a few pages every day. Dry reading, but most helpful. I'm not an advocate for the VA, they have a long way to go but in my own opinion I believe that they do have some individuals that actually care. One of my favorite sayings is this, "If you want a good VSO, find one that's busy or takes a couple of days to call you back". I remember when I first started, I called everybody back the same day, it made for a long day but that was my choice and I did it. Now, sometimes it takes me 2 days to call back, not because I don't want to, it's because I do have a life outside the office. I have 7 grandkids and enjoy spending time with them. However, let me say this, this isn't about me, it never was nor ever will be. It's about each and every individual that comes into my office. It's about them and only them!

I wish you well !

meg, you are the ideal vso that every veteran wishes or wants to have. I've always said, the bad makes people overlook the good and I know thats not fair to the good vso's like yourself. I myself, never got a call from my AL vso. The only person I ever spoke with was the secretary and I was always the one doing the calling. What happened to me could have been fixed a long time ago (according to RO) if someone would have just took a little interest in it. Good Vso's need more recognition than they get for the work they do and maybe the lazy ones will try to do better. My local AL is a state run office and unfortunately I think its just a job for them with no heart involved in their work. Only there for a pay check. The last guy I had there was awesome when it came to helping vets. I just wish the newer guy was more like the older. With all the negative talk about vso's I'm sure it gets frustrating for the good ones to read or hear about it so to you meg, I say, thank you for your hard work and all you do for our fellow veterans!!!

Yeah Meg, I agree with Infantry and hope you don't take what I say personally. I thank you for what YOU are doing on behalf of my brother/sister vets and our families. Something I learned early in my Marine Corps career is ACCOUNTABILITY and let's face it, there doesn't seem like there is any. I can tell you take your job seriously and I applaud that! But when so many of us keep telling horror stories about our experiences, someone has to stand up and "tell it like it is" and report this behavior as unacceptable. As I stated in other threads about this issue my VSO never, ever, ever has picked up the phone once to call me. Let a few days go by...they turn into weeks...then they turn into months. Later, you find out as in Infantry's case that a lack of action puts you in the poor house with creditors breathing down your neck and your home getting foreclosed on. Why? Because the person you trusted enough to act on your behalf did not do something so simple as submitting a form to the VA.

Look...we are disabled veterans seeking nothing more than an expeditious and accurate filing and some follow-up along the way. If the VA doesn't decide in our favor then we either accept it or appeal. That process is long enough without the unnecessary delays brought on by incompatent representation. Perhaps my statements in regards to VSO's are too broad so for that I apologize if I offended. But based on what a lot of us continue to experience, maybe there's some truth to it. Sure wish I had a VSO like you Meg...maybe things would have been better...Sorry for venting here but it frustrates the livin' hell out of me...the lack of accountability.

I agree with that Loose! As soon as my money hits the bank I'm revoking them as my poa. This was a simple error that took less than 24 hrs for this guy to fix and I've went through pure hell these last 10 months along with my wife and kids. I lost 2/3 of the pay I was used to receiving for years so the bills I had took every dime and then some still weren't getting paid. We didn't receive any type of assistance, just toughed it out and gave up a lot of things we were used to having. I'll tell ya, it's hard having 3 kids living at home playing sports with no way for them to contact you but I couldn't take something away the sports love because they had already had to give up so much. I'm still mad over what happened and I want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I haven't got to talk with AL since this has all been fixed but I'm afraid my wife might lose her cool with them cause she's been saying the whole time, they were doing something wrong but they insisted they were right and opening a new claim was the only way to fixing it. My wife is usually the one who keeps her cool and puts her trust in people cause she's a trustworthy person with a good heart and good intentions and we thought they were doing the best they could for us but it turns out...they weren't.