VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Indoc Screening. And Other C&p Questions.

Rate this question

K9MAL

Question

I have several service connected disabilities that give me a lot of pain every day. I deal with migraines (30%), a busted up shoulder (30%) and a bum knee and ankle (both at 10%). I've noticed over time that this constant pain and dealing with it often leaves me in a bad mood and depressed, bummed out, for lack of a better term.

I called VA Mental Health and they said to come in next week for some type of indoc screening to see if I would be a candidate for therapy. I've never been to therapy or seen a mental health person so I'm pretty anxious and not sure what to expect.

Will there be testing? Just talking? I have no idea what to expect and am worried and stressed about the whole deal. Can anybody offer any direction or advice?

Thank you!

Edited by K9MAL

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should tie your depression to your pain and medical condition every chance you get. If you file a claim for depression secondary to your medical conditions you need a psychiatrist to write a letter in IME style and say that your depression is secondary to your SC conditions. The VA won't put it together for you. You must present them with the whole predigested rational and DX and nexus. If it were me I would see the VA shrink for maybe 6 months to a year and keep pounding the connection between your pain and disability and your depression.

K9MAL--

You're halfway there by getting the diagnosis. Now you just need the nexus like John said. He gave some great advice there. I would do exactly what John said to do.

If you could get 50% or 70% for depression, would that be enough to get you to 100% combined rating? If you want to share your other percentages

You should tie your depression to your pain and medical condition every chance you get. If you file a claim for depression secondary to your medical conditions you need a psychiatrist to write a letter in IME style and say that your depression is secondary to your SC conditions. The VA won't put it together for you. You must present them with the whole predigested rational and DX and nexus. If it were me I would see the VA shrink for maybe 6 months to a year and keep pounding the connection between your pain and disability and your depression.

Great suggestions! Thank you. :)

K9MAL--

You're halfway there by getting the diagnosis. Now you just need the nexus like John said. He gave some great advice there. I would do exactly what John said to do.

If you could get 50% or 70% for depression, would that be enough to get you to 100% combined rating? If you want to share your other percentages

I forgot to say thank you for thinking of me and bumping my thread, so thank you! :)

A *indicates ratings that haven't changed this go around. My ratings are as follows:

*Tension headaches with features of migraines 30%

*Right shoulder degenerative joint disease and bursitis 30%

*Right knee internal derangement 10%

*Right ankle injury, limitation of motion, pain and unstable 20% (bumped up from 10%)

Irritable bowel syndrome 30%

Impairment of rectal sphincter control 10%

Left knee patellofemoral pain syndrome 10%

Tinnitus 10%

Status post left distal phalanx fracture 0%

I don't know if it deserves a different thread since this is about depression but I definitely plan on appealing the impairment of control. My private gastro completed a DBQ indicating the 60% rating, using proper VA verbiage, and they only gave me 10%.

My right knee has had PFS, like the left, but they've never rated me for it and it is well documented in my service records. The C&P measurements weren't correct on my right knee. I'm not sure if the "internal derangement" takes care of the PFS or if they're are 2 different ratings that would apply.

The measurements at my C&P were off for my shoulder and it should now be 40% but I don't think I'll get it. There is documented arthritis in the shoulder as well but no mention of it by the raters.

I also think I can get the left foot bumped up from 0% after I get my MRI in a couple of months, maybe.

Sorry for the long winded post… I sincerely appreciate everyone's advice and recommendations. Hadit is an amazing resource for vets and their families!

Edited by K9MAL

And I was also shot down for sleep disorder to include sleep apnea stating that:

"The evidence does not show an event, disease or injury in service. Your service treatment records do not contain complaints, treatment, or diagnosis for this condition."

However, at my separation physical I did complain of sleep problems, it is documented as such, yet they claim it's not there. I know the sleep apnea is hard to qualify for so long after service. Every girlfriend I had in the military and after, including my wife, had complained about my snoring, stopping breathing, etc.

I know this would be a lottery shot if I were to contest their decision.