Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Advice

Rate this question

MedicC

Question

Hello everyone,

I am rated at 80% broken down as follows.

70% PTSD

30% the code the V.A. used was for migraines but the notes say muscle tension headaches secondary to post concussion.

10% Right ankle injury

10% Tinnitus

0% Hemmoroids

0% Lower back injury

Denied SC MRSA Residuals

I was a medic in a line unit in Iraq in 2003 and 2004 involved in some of the major battles of those 2 years. Not going into details since nobody really needs reminders of what they have been thru and I don't need to think about everything at this point but things were a little rough in the desert. I am not here for some poor me story or anything as I am well aware that some of the guys I took care of, and people I have never met, are in ALOT worse shape then I am in. I'm just trying to do the best for my family and do it the right way.

I was rated at 80% within a couple months of getting out in 2004. I have done the best I can working since then but have recently been troubled by headaches that are very very bad. The doctors are still trying figure out if its related to what i have been having problems with for years or if its something new and how to fix it. I have a vein in my brain that has bled in the past that they found on an MRI but the surgeon does not think its the cause of my headaches. And its a private surgeon with a good reputation so I am inclined to believe him.

I have not been able to work for the last couple weeks because of this. Not working has made me realize how much my PTSD really is affecting me. Over the last 9 years I have buried myself in work and I think it has not been healthy. I have not allowed myself time to heal. Now that I have not been working it has made me realize I really do have the problems that I have been burying this whole time. In the last 9 years I have had probably between 8-12 jobs I'd have to really think about it to figure exact number out, I have quit everyone of them because I have gotten pissed off at someone and told them to pound sand.

Financially I can afford to take some time to deal with the problems I'm having. It will be tough money wise but with my wife working, and with a little family support, we can afford to not have me work for little while. It puts our dreams of buying a home and having kids on hold for awhile but I think I need some healing time before we have kids anyways.

My question that I need some advice on is: Should I put in for SSDI or TDIU while going thru this or should I just give it a couple years and see how treatment goes and then apply if things don't get any better?

Thank You in advance!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Apply for both now! Don't wait. Our situations are remarkably similar, almost scary. I did the same thing and in 2011, after not being able to work...I filed for BOTH...and got both!

A request for TDIU is in effect, a request for increased benefits. Use the time wisely-

1) RESEARCH the requirements for both TDIU and SSDI. (similar, yet very different standards to be met)

2) Obtain doc statements statements as to how this service-connected disability affects employability (sedentary jobs as well)

3) Obtain statements from past employers, buddies, past work absences due to headaches, negative work evals, etc.

4) RESEARCH before giving POA to any VSO. Don't just go with a well known group. MEET the person assigned to represent you!

5) Make copies of everything you send to the VA and keep well documented records.

6) Ask questions of vets who've been down the road you are about to travel. Seek their opinions but make your own decisions. Keep in mind, people who opine often have mysterious motives.

7) Always remember, YOU are responsible for your claim & YOU are your best advocate!

I'm sure I left some things out. Others will most likely offer their advice too. Be patient and never give up.

Good luck moving forward. Thanks for your service as a doc in the desert. You represent a group that has saved many, many lives. Mine included.

LC

Thank You LC,

I have another MRI tomorrow to look closer at the veins in my brain to make sure that there is no current bleeding. The neurosurgeon has already said he is about 99% positive that the headaches I am having now are NOT caused by the vein problem.

This leads me back to the problem of What is causing the headaches? If the doctors come back and say that it is different then the original diagnoses that I am rated at 30% then that means that it is possibly not service connected?? I am wondering if I should wait for a diagnosis in the next couple days and if it is NOT SC then apply for IU on the basis of PTSD only? I truly feel that it is a combination of both right now that is preventing me from working with the heavier of the 2 being PTSD.

Tough to answer with any certainty. I think you might have a few angles here...First, see what the neuro doctor's opinion is. Feel the doc out...He already thinks (with 99% certainty) your headaches aren't related to the vein problem. Does he think the headaches can be related to your PTSD or any meds you are on to help with the PTSD? It could very well be that the headaches are a secondary condition to your PTSD. If so, is he/she willing to say so?

Also, do you have a copy of your in-service medical record. Look back page-by-page to see if you have ANY treatment while on AD relating to headaches or a possible injury that could have resulted in headaches (IED noise, accidents or mishaps, TBI injuries...anything). Any of this, coupled with buddy statements or proof a unit you were assigned to in the desert can help you greatly.

Good luck tomorrow with your MRI. See what the docs say before doing anything. But once you feel like you have good evidence, my advice would be sooner rather than later on filing for TDIU & SSDI. That said, a complete claim with thought out statements and supporting evidence is much better than sending in a hastily written claim.

Just my opinions. If I think of anything else tonight I'll pass it along. Please keep me posted and take care brother.

LC

P.S.- Just realized you have a rating for tinnitus...Related to headaches possibly?

Edited by Loose Cannon

Thank you again for the advice LC. The 30% rating I have is for headaches. It is code 8100 which I believe is migraines but the description says muscle tension headaches secondary to post concussion due to traumatic brain injury. I will let you know what the doctors say after my MRI results are back. Thanks

Here's a fantastic site (I believe Hadit member "NavyWife" directed me to). http://ssdfacts.com/forum/

Might want to give it a look...You can take valuable info from as it relates to a possible SSDI case.

Not sure if you're on good enough terms to contact any of the multiple ex-employers you had since leaving AD. Statements from them in regards to how you got along with others, accommodations they may have made while you worked there like time off, etc. CAN CARRY A LOT OF WEIGHT in claiming PTSD prevents you from holding gainful employment.

I did this and I'm sure it helped re-enforce my case for TDIU. Also sent them to SS as part of my SSDI claim.

So if anyone said "you don't play well with others"...this is probably the one time you can use it to your advantage..LOL!

LC

Edited by Loose Cannon